Mini Hopback/Hoprocket DIY

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mitchmalt

Reaction score
Having just finished my first brew with this mini hopback, I thought I might share my little project.

upload_2020-2-17_19-19-5.jpeg

I got the idea after reading the Proper job clone competition winner’s post from years ago. I looked online and saw a few examples, then just has a go.
Basically, from the bottom up, it’s 14mm copper pipe, compression ball tap, bit more pipe, compression tank coupler filed through to allow the copper pipe to pass through, then the metal sheath of a flexible tap connector, supported by a coil of copper wire (removed earth from electrical cable wrapped round pencil and pushed in to prevent collapse under weight). These are techniques I have read about online before. The metal sheath is hose clipped to the copper pipe, and a rubber stopper was put in the other end. I ordered a plastic tap from ebay for the plastic top and drilled and fitted that. The jar is from eBay, a steel storage jar basically, with a clip lock.

upload_2020-2-17_19-31-42.jpeg

Ok so I borrowed a boss and clamp arm from work, (chemistry teacher!) but that was really only in case it leaked, so I could be sure the drips would be caught.

upload_2020-2-17_19-38-59.jpeg

I cooled to 75 C with the chiller and sent the wort through, by using the boiler tap and the bottom ball tap I was able to control the flow quite well. When the flow in exceeded the outflow, the wort just leaked from the seal at the top, and dropped into the bucket, so no issues.

upload_2020-2-17_19-39-46.jpeg

I used the sink drainer to give a little squeeze at the end. Seemed to have worked, only tasting will tell of course! Easy to rinse out after as well.

upload_2020-2-17_19-41-33.jpeg

The jar is a little small, classic case of buying on eBay blind, but easy job to refit to a larger jar if I decide to. I’ll post when I’ve tasted it, but without a back to back test it’ll be hard to judge the impact. To be fair I just like messing about with stuff like this!

Latest posts

Back