Mixed Gas serving

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have used 70/30 for serving it does seem to lose the co2 in the beer as the keg gets emptied but the kegs last longer than a pub keg so it may also to do with time of dispense too bearing in mind it has less co2 to replace the co2 that may migrate out of the beer.
This only my opinion of what seemed to happen to me I also had to use a different Reg and from memory it is threaded different to a co2 one

I want to do it when funds allow, as @the baron says you will need a different regulator. You'll also need a stout/nitro tap (the spout has holes which agitate the nitrogen out of suspension) or if you use an Intertap/Nukatap you can get a stout spout for use with the tap. I have one in readiness.

I've found this article very useful.

There are 2 different options. Carbonate with CO2 and then use the mixed gas to serve, or nitrocarbonate (not a word) with the mixed gas and serve with mixed gas. I will do the latter. I believe conventional wisdom is that you'll need higher pressure to get the same carbonation - so if you normally carb with 10psi of CO2 you will need c33psi of 70/30, or c25psi of 60/40 to get the same level.

@Hazelwood Brewery has more practical experience than me.

Edited to correct maths.

Last edited:
I want to do it when funds allow, as @the baron says you will need a different regulator. You'll also need a stout/nitro tap (the spout has holes which agitate the nitrogen out of suspension) or if you use an Intertap/Nukatap you can get a stout spout for use with the tap. I have one in readiness.

I've found this article very useful.

There are 2 different options. Carbonate with CO2 and then use the mixed gas to serve, or nitrocarbonate (not a word) with the mixed gas and serve with mixed gas. I will do the latter. I believe conventional wisdom is that you'll need higher pressure to get the same carbonation - so if you normally carb with 10psi of CO2 you will need c33psi of 70/30 to get the same level.

@Hazelwood Brewery has more practical experience than me.

Edited to correct maths.

Oh blimey it's complicated! I'm out! 😂

Hi Patch.

Mixed gas has two applications. The first is to push beer long distances or up heights that require a high pressure without over-carbonating the beer. It can do this because nitrogen is barely soluble so can push the beer without dissolving into it and making it fizzy. The second application is to nitrogenate your beer to make it smooth and creamy - I said above that nitrogen is barely soluble but give it enough pressure and time and it can be done.

I’m going to not say much about the first application, this is really for pubs and is to overcome the distances between cellars and bars which might even be a couple of floors up.

So, nitrogenating your beer. It does make a difference and is worth it but there are some drawbacks in terms of cost and time. There is also a constraint - you can’t use nitro for hoppy ales because the nitrogen strips hoppy aroma and flavour. For malty ales though it’s marvellous!

To use mixed gas you will need a separate primary regulator. This comes with a different fitting for the gas bottle and although there are adapters for CO2 regulators my advice is don’t go there, the pressures are very different (CO2 is typically 500-600psi, mixed gas 2,500-3,000psi).

To nitrogenate your beer you need a higher pressure than with CO2. Where you might carbonate and dispense your beer at 12psi, you will nitrogenate and dispense your beer at about 50psi. With mixed gas it will take longer too, my imperial stout takes about a month.

When it comes to dispense you also need a stout spout which has a restrictor plate in the spout with tiny holes the beer passed through. This serves two purposes, it reduces the serving pressure at the spout and it creates turbulence that encourages the nitrogen out of the beer creating that creamy head.

A couple of pictures; a stout and a brace of imperial stouts.
AFC46C6B-CC19-49F5-97A5-BB751C3752C1.jpeg
D48BAEF0-3E72-4A17-A08D-1A344CC2AACF.jpeg

I use 70/30, it’s simple. Just treat is as you would normally but use a different chart and the correct tap.

Google Jolly Good Beer.

Don’t try and force carb with 100% CO2, you’ll get better results using the mixed from my experience.

Nothing else to it.

Enjoy.

PS, 60/40 is normally used for pushing beer over distance. 70/30 is normally the cream flow mix.

I use 70/30, it’s simple. Just treat is as you would normally but use a different chart and the correct tap.

Google Jolly Good Beer.

Don’t try and force carb with 100% CO2, you’ll get better results using the mixed from my experience.

Nothing else to it.

Enjoy.

PS, 60/40 is normally used for pushing beer over distance. 70/30 is normally the cream flow mix.
I’m exactly the same…set and forget with higher pressure. i also find it really interesting how the same beer tastes differently on a beer engine, with 30/70 and C02.

Latest posts

Back