Mixing S-04 with the Fuller yeast?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Let us know how this goes. I've had a mixed relationship with S04 but a recent success mixing it with S-33, and with London. I'll be trying it with a bit of T-58. I did some brews with a bit of of T-58 alongside M44. You can achieve a lot by mixing yeast. The single strain approach is efficient and reliable but you lose from it too, I think. Some once great beers are not what they were, due to single strains replacing more complex multi strains.
I have done this one, the bitter was very good although it's hard to understand the difference without comparing them side by side. I will do this again and build up a house yeast.

A couple more I wanted to add to the mix was Timothy Taylor's and the Llalemand New England yeast. And also open fermenting these in a keg

I was not a big fan of either Nottingham or Verdant. Although I should give them another try.

Let us know how this goes. I've had a mixed relationship with S04 but a recent success mixing it with S-33, and with London. I'll be trying it with a bit of T-58. I did some brews with a bit of of T-58 alongside M44. You can achieve a lot by mixing yeast. The single strain approach is efficient and reliable but you lose from it too, I think. Some once great beers are not what they were, due to single strains replacing more complex multi strains.
Also in a recent mild I brewed I used T-58, I had an older pack sitting there and figured why not give it a try. At the very least I might end up with something like a de struise. But I am hoping to add it to the mix.

At some point I will start to work the ratios, it's very difficult with liquid and dry though.

I have done this one, the bitter was very good although it's hard to understand the difference without comparing them side by side. I will do this again and build up a house yeast.

A couple more I wanted to add to the mix was Timothy Taylor's and the Llalemand New England yeast. And also open fermenting these in a keg

I was not a big fan of either Nottingham or Verdant. Although I should give them another try.
Are you looking at a house yeast with loads of strains?

Verdant works for me in American hopped pales and darker beers. Was really good in a porter. Notty is a good ond for blending with others that are more expressive.

At some point I will start to work the ratios, it's very difficult with liquid and dry though.
If ratios matter maybe making a starter of the same gravity each time and swirl it all together. Use a measured amount of the starter in the blend.

Are you looking at a house yeast with loads of strains?

Verdant works for me in American hopped pales and darker beers. Was really good in a porter. Notty is a good ond for blending with others that are more expressive.

If ratios matter maybe making a starter of the same gravity each time and swirl it all together. Use a measured amount of the starter in the blend.
Yeah a house strain for bitters and milds only. I do also like verdant in hoppy beers just not bitters. Never tried it in a dark beer though.

That's a good idea for the starter. I can make a starter of both liquid and dry and go from there. I don't know if it matters and maybe only for the first batch. My palate isn't refined enough to pick out the differences anyway I would imagine.

I try not to let myself get too influenced by the modern brewing model, exact science, single strains,
Yeah a house strain for bitters and milds only. I do also like verdant in hoppy beers just not bitters. Never tried it in a dark beer though.

That's a good idea for the starter. I can make a starter of both liquid and dry and go from there. I don't know if it matters and maybe only for the first batch. My palate isn't refined enough to pick out the differences anyway I would imagine.
How many strains do you think you will put into the house yeast?!

I'm trying to think outside the box more these days. Not follow the norms so much. Going to try getting yeast from different places, including wild sources like fruit and blossom, using 'local' ingredients more than imported stuff, looking to pre-industrial forms of brewing to an extent for inspiration. Farmhouse methods maybe. But not forgoing the benefits we have from modern ingredients entirely. I'm unlikely to malt my own barley or grow my own hops, but I do get hops from friends sometimes. And there are wild ingredients worth considering, some of which can introduce yeast too. I like that kind of experimentation, without wishing to throw caution to the wind completely, as there are risks and I have zero lab/biology/chemistry skills. Trial and error for me!

I try not to let myself get too influenced by the modern brewing model, exact science, single strains,

How many strains do you think you will put into the house yeast?!

I'm trying to think outside the box more these days. Not follow the norms so much. Going to try getting yeast from different places, including wild sources like fruit and blossom, using 'local' ingredients more than imported stuff, looking to pre-industrial forms of brewing to an extent for inspiration. Farmhouse methods maybe. But not forgoing the benefits we have from modern ingredients entirely. I'm unlikely to malt my own barley or grow my own hops, but I do get hops from friends sometimes. And there are wild ingredients worth considering, some of which can introduce yeast too. I like that kind of experimentation, without wishing to throw caution to the wind completely, as there are risks and I have zero lab/biology/chemistry skills. Trial and error for me!
I was thinking 3 maybe 4 at most. But I think S-04 and fullers is a good one. If I want to get a little more fruit in there I may add some New England yeast.

It will be interesting about your yeast collection endeavour, that stuff is great. I have been tinkering with growing hops but it's a lot of work.

I was thinking 3 maybe 4 at most. But I think S-04 and fullers is a good one. If I want to get a little more fruit in there I may add some New England yeast.

It will be interesting about your yeast collection endeavour, that stuff is great. I have been tinkering with growing hops but it's a lot of work.
I haven't used New England - I must give it a whirl.

I think 3 or 4 makes sense. I did once read that the Boddingtons brewery yeast had about 15 strains before it was replaced. I don't know if that is true. Some of the kveiks have been found to be double figures I think. But we get sold one isolated strain.

The single strain approach is efficient and reliable but you lose from it too, I think. Some once great beers are not what they were, due to single strains replacing more complex multi strains.
I have to agree with you.

With cml doing yeast at such good prices, it is a good time to have a go.

I have to agree with you.

With cml doing yeast at such good prices, it is a good time to have a go.
There are lots of sources of yeast. And you can use part packets and seal up the rest.

I have a pouch of imperial A09. I like a few things S-04 brings, better flocculation and a tartness I enjoy. I was hoping it would mesh well with the marmalade from Pub.
Don't know about tartness, but A09 is already very flocculent. Here's the blurb:

Temp: 64–70F (18–21C) Flocculation: Very High Attenuation: 69–74% Alcohol Tolerance: 10%

Beloved and highly flocculent British ale strain. Well suited for a variety of beer styles.

Brewers swear by this strain to achieve super bright ales in a short amount of time. One of the most flocculent brewer’s strains around, Pub will rip through fermentation and then drop out of the beer quickly. Pub produces higher levels of esters than most domestic ale strains, making it an excellent choice for when balance between malt and yeast derived esters is necessary. Be sure to give beers made with Pub a sufficient diacetyl rest.

It sounds like a yeast I should try.
I've used SO-4 as well, and went right off it. Used it again after some years and the strain seems to have improved. The trouble is that I can't remember what it was I didn't like about it. I've got no issues with CML Four.

I have mixed yeast in the past 50/50 with SO4 but that was added kit (Woodforde's Wherry) did great and soon cleared never used AO9 but will give it ago on a future ale brew I have some SO4 to use up so might chuck um both in, Has it says gives a bright finish

Back