Mixing S-04 with the Fuller yeast?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pennine

Landlord.
Reaction score
I am a big fan of S-04 and Fullers yeast, and was thinking about doing some various mixed yeast batches over the next couple brews.

Anyone have any experience with mixing these two?

If by Fuller's yeast you mean actual harvested Fuller's yeast then I'm not sure why you'd bother, it's superior in every way to S-04.
I have a pouch of imperial A09. I like a few things S-04 brings, better flocculation and a tartness I enjoy. I was hoping it would mesh well with the marmalade from Pub.

Can we please keep this on topic, I wasn't asking about the merits of S-04 just if anyone has mixed them before.

Can we please keep this on topic, I wasn't asking about the merits of S-04 just if anyone has mixed them before.
I can see another experiment in the horizon. I have some new yeast to try out, did some research online. Amazing the mixed reviews on each yeast. Do you plan to co-pitch together

I can see another experiment in the horizon. I have some new yeast to try out, did some research online. Amazing the mixed reviews on each yeast. Do you plan to co-pitch together
Yeah I was thinking about doing ratios this time, 25/75, 50/50 and 75/25. Although this might be difficult with a liquid Yeast and dry yeast. I might just go with 3 separate bacthes over time too rather than having them side by side. I haven't been too happy with my little 5l fermenters.

It's totally strange to me how much hate S-04 gets, if I could only pick one yeast that would definitely be it. Fullers has been hit or miss for me, sometimes I love it sometimes not. Although I have never used Imperial Pub before which is said to be better than the others.

It's totally strange to me how much hate S-04 gets, if I could only pick one yeast that would definitely be it.
It’s just about the only yeast I’ve used where I’ve been unhappy with the results every time I’ve used it.

I’ve even successfully picked it out in 2 commercial beers I’ve tried too (and didn’t particularly like - in fact one of the beers was my nightmare combo of S-04 and Bramling X, I clearly wasn’t aware of that when I ordered it).

It’s just about the only yeast I’ve used where I’ve been unhappy with the results every time I’ve used it.

I’ve even successfully picked it out in 2 commercial beers I’ve tried too (and didn’t particularly like - in fact one of the beers was my nightmare combo of S-04 and Bramling X, I clearly wasn’t aware of that when I ordered it).
What is it you don't like about it?

How do you know which yeast commercial breweries use? I've never found any that say it on the bottle (or were you in the brewery and talking to them?).

Just do it. It's only wrong if you don't like the result.

It would be interesting to know what Lasaffre could have achieved as a company if they hadn't chosen the worst yeast ever as one of their core products.🤔

Just do it. It's only wrong if you don't like the result.

It would be interesting to know what Lasaffre could have achieved as a company if they hadn't chosen the worst yeast ever as one of their core products.🤔
I am assuming you are meaning S-04?

Surprising as one of the most well ranked breweries in the US uses it.
https://treehousebrew.com/

I am assuming you are meaning S-04?

Surprising as one of the most well ranked breweries in the US uses it.
https://treehousebrew.com/
Indeed. They appear to sell tonnes of the stuff and many breweries build good reputations whilst using it.

I think most brewers use S-04 when they first start brewing and it gets linked with their less successful brewing efforts. Or people equate personal preference with quality, which is odd. Admittedly, I don't use S-04 these days, but also I don't care much for Challenger or Biscuit Malt but I wouldn't say they were bad.

How do you know which yeast commercial breweries use? I've never found any that say it on the bottle (or were you in the brewery and talking to them?).
The Bramling Combo I was in a taproom; the other one I found out by googling because I was sure it was S-04.

Well I took it a step further and mixed a yeast cake of A-09 pub, S-04 and WY 1469. I have been very happy with all three of these yeasts, specifically the A-09 pub it's definitely the best fullers version out there.

I am going to split this in a couple jars and brew up a mild and best bitter hopefully this week.

Well I took it a step further and mixed a yeast cake of A-09 pub, S-04 and WY 1469. I have been very happy with all three of these yeasts, specifically the A-09 pub it's definitely the best fullers version out there.

I am going to split this in a couple jars and brew up a mild and best bitter hopefully this week.
Let us know how this goes. I've had a mixed relationship with S04 but a recent success mixing it with S-33, and with London. I'll be trying it with a bit of T-58. I did some brews with a bit of of T-58 alongside M44. You can achieve a lot by mixing yeast. The single strain approach is efficient and reliable but you lose from it too, I think. Some once great beers are not what they were, due to single strains replacing more complex multi strains.

Latest posts

Back