Mobile phones

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clint

Forum jester...🏅🏆
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
My Samsung j whatever it is, is rubbish! Not much memory,full all the time even though I keep deleting stuff etc,apps not working or updating. ...time for a change. I got a txt off EE saying I can change my phone early so any suggestions? Don't want an apple...
I like the sound of the Huawei. ..anyone got one?

Cheers

Clint

Upgrade deals are rarely good value. Shopping around and switching network is better.

I got a new S9 for 115 upfront and 30/month with 16gb data last month on vodafone. When I told EE I was switching they said that deal was so good it barely covered the phone cost.

Ha ha... I wouldn't believe anything the phone companies tell you. It's all lies! The corkers I've been told over the last 25 years of mobile usage!

There is a cycle between the best deal being on monthly tied-in contract..... or sim-free and buy your own phone. It cycles between one or the other being the best deal when you weigh up what you get for your monthly cost, versus how long the contract is for, versus the value(alledged) of the phone you want.

Currently it's hands down the best to buy outright the phone you want, and go sim-free.
Currently I pay £25 a month for 30gb data, unlimited calls and texts, and my allowance is useable not just in Europe but the states and a load of other countries as well.

If you want a very expensive phone, then it's not quite such a rip-off, but it's still costing more than buying outright and going sim-only. However, paying £700+ for a phone is a big lump in one go, that's why people go for it.
2 years contract at £60 a month £1440. 2 years at £15 a month for a better deal + £700 for the phone, £1160. The £260 on top can be considered "Interest" on a loan.

Can you tell I have a very low opinion of phone companies??

I have the Motorola G4 and rate it they have now brought out the G5, my son has a Nokia 5 and says its the best phone he has had both are sim free.

At £160 - £180 (probably cheaper now) they are classed as budget phones but having had more expensive phones in the past (used to always buy Samsung) i can honestly say they do not feel like a budget phone.

Last edited:
we love the moto range in our house, the naked android experience means no added **** slowing the phone down so the phone doesn't need better cpu specs to run all the bloatware. some of the htc hardware is really good but the bundled skin spoils it for me

I'm on a Moto X play from Motorola too. As mentioned above, no bloatware likes lot of the other manufacturers enjoy.
I started off on the old Motorola "brick" phones, and have come full circle back to them.
Probably the only other phones I'd go with are Huawei or OnePlus now.

I just upgraded from moto g4 to the g5 and it seems much better. (£120 from Argos and you get £10 voucher this weekend). I use a sim only contract as seems the only one allows me to tether devices to.
All the same apps and on the old phone was always running out of space. The g5 says i have loads of space left.
one thing to look out for is that it takes a nano SIM so need to get provider to give you a new sim - that was 2 trips to the hi street for me!

oh by the way this the 'old' g5 as they are releasing new one hence the cheaper price.

You can convert to nano SIM with a pair of scissors and a bit of sandpaper. There are templates on the internet for it. Easy enough.

LG works fine for me and the missus. The G4 is still speedy enough, not waterproof (seems to be a thing nowadays) but I added 64 gig of storage, and it's an excellent ereader. Amazon ships them for 220, making it a tenner every month for two years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another vote for the g5
But I won't get another, because I like to use my phone one handed and I can't reach the top of the screen with my thumb on the g5, it's too big!

Bloody fantastic phone though, irrespective of my one handed short thumbed foibles

My wife's been using a G4 for a while now so when my phone died the other week she suggested a Motorola. I've been sim only via bt for the past year so just bought a G6. Seems a pretty good phone thus far. I'd have gone for the £50 cheaper play version except it uses micro usb to charge where the normal and plus models use usb-c like my tablet and I didn't want to have 2 different charging cable.

Hello all,
My Samsung j whatever it is, is rubbish! Not much memory,full all the time even though I keep deleting stuff etc,apps not working or updating. ...time for a change. I got a txt off EE saying I can change my phone early so any suggestions? Don't want an apple...
I like the sound of the Huawei. ..anyone got one?

Cheers

Clint
I thought that was you Clint "Not much memory, full all the time...." :beer1::laugh8:

Yep, I've got a Huawei Mate 10 Pro, and it's brilliant. Very fast, 128GB memory and excellent camera. Paying £36 pm with 20GB data and unlimited texts and calls on O2

I got a Huawei y6 from Argos £99 and pay a tenner a month on giffgaff. Brilliant phone for the money. They do a slightly bigger version with more features like NFC and fingerprint scanner for about £130 but I didn't need those

I have never had a problem with billing...memory....promotions...ever. That is one of the great things I can say that NOT owning one of those monstrous gadgets. People ask how I get along without one....just fine thank you is my reply.

Interesting druid...if I may ask. ..how old are you,what do you do etc? Just wondering which section of society, if any,can do without a mobile phone.
I know relatively recently there were none but now they're here it's like you can't possibly live without one.
I do agree to an extent they are the work of evil...

Interesting druid...if I may ask. ..how old are you,what do you do etc? Just wondering which section of society, if any,can do without a mobile phone.
I know relatively recently there were none but now they're here it's like you can't possibly live without one.

I wonder if he means he has an old style small phone rather than a huge touch screen smart phone.

I do own one of those monstrous gadgets but i am not on contract so also don't have a problem with billing or promotions, i gave up monthly contracts a long time ago as for me they are a rip off i rarely use my phone for voice calls and text so was paying 3 times more a month than i am now, i do use the internet a lot and 4G is brilliant on the G4 and due to the rollover mentioned below for £10 per month i started this month with 3 GB Data, 450 minutes and unlimited texts which is ample for me.

Big Value Bundles on Pay as you go

Get heaps of data, texts and minutes every 30 days. Big Value Bundles are little packages of allowances that enable you to stream, share and browse for 30 days on Pay as you go without having to top up - with heaps of data, texts and minutes.

And thanks to Total Rollover you can roll anything you don’t use into the next 30-day period.

You’ll also get Rewards Points when you buy your Big Value Bundle, and every time you top up, to spend on the things you love – including high street vouchers, the latest accessories, or even a new phone.

https://www.vodafone.co.uk/mobile/pay-as-you-go-plans/big-value-bundles

Latest posts

Back