Modified 'chianti' recipe 2

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonyhibbett

Landlord.
Reaction score
There is an Acton & Duncan recipe including 18 pounds of cherries (4.5 gallon recipe). That's about 8 kilos and at £4 per kilo, £32: rather expensive! However, a 440 ml bottle of Polish cherry syrup, at £2.40, is the equivalent of 2 kilos of cherries. 4 bottles, £9.60. Each bottle is the equivalent of 300 g sugar, in the form of glucose syrup, so that's 25% of the total sugar content required.
The next item is 4 pounds of raisins. Tesco 'Everyday value' raisins are about £2.00 per kilo, and as you only need 1.5 kilos add £3 to the cost: £12.60.
3 pounds of bananas. Undersized and/or somewhat black skinned ones are very cheap. About £2.
2 pints of red grape concentrate. About 1.25 litres. Bought in bulk, this costs £8.75, bringing the total so far to £23.35.
4 pounds of sugar or honey. On account of the glucose in the cherry syrup, 1.5 kilos should be enough. Given the high cost of honey, I'll stick with sugar: £1.30. Total £24.65, about £1 per bottle.
The ingredients are readily available locally, apart from the concentrate. 2 kilos of currants could be used instead, which would also reduce the cost.

This seems quite an endeavor. Will be intrigued to see how it turns out

Don't forget though £24.65 might not be your final total! As if it turns out to be a nice Chianti you will need some Fava Beans (£1.30 750g Tesco) :rofl:

I think he's saying that you will need some food to go with your nice wine..............

Sorry, just thought - he may be calling you Hannibal Lecture!!!!! forgot about that film! :rofl:

Tramps Vest said:
I think he's saying that you will need some food to go with your nice wine..............

Silence of the lambs is a fictional film about a cannibal who is a wine connoisseur and a gourmet theres a famous quote where he says;

"Don't test me Clarice, a census taker once tried to test me i ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti, (makes a sluping sound)"

Do not add fava beans to your recipe! Or liver

I remember Silence of the Lambs. They say that you only see 40% of any film at the first viewing. It took me 3 viewings of the original Dirty Harry to work out that the famous 'punk' challenge speech in the shoot out at the beginning was identical to the one at the end, the crucial difference in the outcome being the actual number of shots fired. A brilliant bit of cinema. Nobody is going to count the shots first time around!
In this case I remember the chianti and the liver, but not the fava beans! Wine references in the media are quite fun. In From Russia with Love, Bond's suspicions are aroused when the fake English agent orders a red wine with his fish. Similarly in Diamonds are Forever he exposes the fake waiters trying to blow him up with a trick question about a burgundy wine.
On the subject of lambs and liver, I prefer them fried in olive oil, with onion, crushed garlic and chopped fresh sage with a hint of chilli, de-glazed with white wine and served with sautéed potatoes.
Meanwhile, I have been unable to make a start on this recipe because people keep calling me out of retirement to fix increasingly more weird problems on their computers. I shouldn't object to them enthusiastically stuffing my wallet with useful cash, but they take up even more valuable time. It seems there are only a few spare hours a day after all the basic maintenance routine tasks of staying alive have been dealt with.

Latest posts

Back