Modifying kit advice

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vallyred

Reaction score
Hi all.
Having started with homebrew about 6 months ago I've really become hooked and can see the progression from kit brewing onto maxi biab (space is an issue) happening quite soon.
Mrs and myself recently had a session at wetherspoons taking in some of the world ales in the current promo they are running.
Her fave by far was Yeastie Boys which is flavoured by some NZ hops (pacifica, southern cross and matuika I think) and also earl grey tea.
I have just picked up some golden ale kits from wilkos after doing the kit straight a couple of months back.
I am pondering whether to modify half of the kit following primary fermentation by adding a mix of the hops above (in pellet form) along with a strong earl grey infusion (loose leaf steeped in boiled water).
Would the flavour make itself known in the brew after say 10 days secondary fermenting?

What on earth has happened to the forum, a simple post to reply to, on for five hours 30 people read it..........naff all replies.
Hops won't hurt, can't see the point in earl grey tastes like washing up water to me in its proper use.;-)
Have I missed the point or whats wrong with hops ?
S

I'm with Springer on the taste of Earl Grey - don't like it. Adding a hop tea at this stage would be ok, or you could dry hop, even better for aroma.

I'm not a fan either but the Mrs is and hence I was thinking of splitting (a gallon or so) the kit to flavour some with earl grey for her.
Nowt wrong with collecting brownie points...

Earl Grey infusion might be best added with the priming sugar if you bulk prime in a bottling bucket.
Any sooner and it is going to deliver its benefit to the storage room, I should have thought.

Latest posts

Back