Mojito Kilju

Help Support The HomeBrew Forum:

KyleC

Reaction score
Giving this a go as well. I used your recipe more or less. Ratios seem a lot better than the video.
I forgot to factor in the cold weather here so it’s a slow fermentation. SG went from 1.080 to 1.052 in a week.
tastes very sweet still but otherwise pretty good.
Keen to taste the final product.

LisaMC

Landlady.
Reaction score
I tried a dry version and it was vile - to my tastes though. The sweet one is gorgeous, and even nicer with coconut rum. 😁

KyleC

Reaction score
I tried a dry version and it was vile - to my tastes though. The sweet one is gorgeous, and even nicer with coconut rum. 😁
Coconut rum sounds like a fantastic addition. I still have half a bottle so I’ll definitely give that a go!

LisaMC

Landlady.
Reaction score
Coconut rum sounds like a fantastic addition. I still have half a bottle so I’ll definitely give that a go!
I pop some in the glass though, not in the actual wine. Not sure if I'm confusing you sorry lol

KyleC

Reaction score
I pop some in the glass though, not in the actual wine. Not sure if I'm confusing you sorry lol
Just bottled mine and it is great!

I also poured a decent glass and added some coconut rum into the glass. This would be a fantastic summer drink! Shame it’s now entering winter in Australia haha.

thanks for a great recipe!

LisaMC

Landlady.
Reaction score
Just bottled mine and it is great!

I also poured a decent glass and added some coconut rum into the glass. This would be a fantastic summer drink! Shame it’s now entering winter in Australia haha.

thanks for a great recipe!
My absolute pleasure Kyle!

Baldinio

Reaction score
Stopped fermentation on mine yesterday at 1.014 to keep it sweet and racked it into a clean dj to clear. The mint is slightly overpowering at the moment, tastes almost medicinal lol, but I reckon it will mellow nicely.

LisaMC

Landlady.
Reaction score
I think the mint is supposed to be strong in this - but sounds like you need more lime for your taste buds to balance it out, as the mint helps with the sweetness as well. :D

If you find it's too sweet for you already then don't add coconut rum lol

LisaMC

Landlady.
Reaction score
Looks fab! I need some more of this too! Now I have the all-rounder I could carbonate it in that too! Yay!!

johncrobinson

Landlord.
Reaction score
And long may it last Lisa.

As an aside my late fathers winemaking activities meant most who dared to visit our home went out pickled.
At my Mothers funeral hundreds turned out,There was no room for them all in the church.

By the sound of things you are exceeding even his production rates.
If you have teenage kids you are going to be the celebration of the county :beer1:

Random Badger

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi @LisaMC

As our most experienced Mojito Kilju brewer, can you advise your latest thoughts on the best recipe and process to use please?

LisaMC

Landlady.
Reaction score
The things I would change from the original are:-

Use all parts of the mint including the stalks
Double the lime
Extra lime at the end as it doesn't come through as well as the mint does
Make fining it the very last thing, after stabilising and sweetening ☺

LisaMC

Landlady.
Reaction score
And long may it last Lisa.

As an aside my late fathers winemaking activities meant most who dared to visit our home went out pickled.
At my Mothers funeral hundreds turned out,There was no room for them all in the church.

By the sound of things you are exceeding even his production rates.
If you have teenage kids you are going to be the celebration of the county :beer1:
They are 25 and 26 John, eldest has left home. They get regular supplies lol 😁

I've moved on to beer now - a little more challenging but I love it!

jof

Regular.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've moved on to beer now - a little more challenging but I love it!
That's surprising, as I find beer much easier than wine to make.
Quantities of beer may be a bit more challenging, but I found getting a good country wine to be much harder than an acceptable pint (or 40)

LisaMC

Landlady.
Reaction score
It's the technical side that i've been struggling with, but i think i've cracked it now. Water additions, equipment etc. I think there's always more to learn ☺