more accurate pid controllers

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hedgerow pete

Regular.
Reaction score
as well as beer and wine, i also do chickens, no i dont ferment chickens i keep them at the allotment lol

any way its the time of year we dust off the incubator and start thinking of incubating eggs. the one we have now is very tatty and we will consider replacing it . what got me thinking is the pid controller i use on the brew gear is perfect design for the incubator the downside is its temp range. instead of two degrees i will need something that works withing half a degree or less.

two degree is to much variation of temp for eggs,

has anyone ever seen some thing like a pid with a higher specification ??

If using something like a tube heater won't a stc 1000 be ideal ? they can be set to 0.1c . (If you know about PIDs you probably know about stcs ) ;)

I use a PID controller for my Vivarium . . .Temperature varies +/- 0.1C . . .

PID wired to SSR controlling an 8W Heat mat . . . Under a sheet of 2.5mm hardboard. . . . PT100 Bare sensor taped to top of hardboard covered with substrate

PID Controllers once tuned ARE accurate . . . as long as you place the sensor in a decent spot to get a measurement, and the heater you use is appropriate to the job in hand.

If my PID Controller for the Viv, HERMS or the brewery only controlled to +/- 2C it would be in the bin!

Even my OLD ATC-800 can control in 1 degree steps.
Maybe time to digout the PID setup guide and change the configuration.

Also PIDs by their nature of operation are much less prone to 'see-saw' as they are not simple on/off switches like an STC-1000.
For accuracy I would also go for a PID and a PT100.

My diy arduino pid controller can control to within +- 0.05C on an overnight test (though a few bumps of 0.15C). Though of course it all depends on proper calibration and tuning of the system.

anthonyUK said:
The common ones made by Auberins and Sestos are accurate to +/-0.1°c when used with a linear sensor e.g. PT100 which is about as precise as you'll get for a reasonable price.
Don't you mean they are precise to +/-0.1°c ... PT100 which is about as accurate as you'll get?

Latest posts

Back