More questions

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackPerks

Reaction score
I started another kit brew the other week it had a slow start then went mental for 48 hours then after that it calmed quite considerably. My question is should I give the brew a bit of a of a stir to liven it up again?

I took a reading and my wilko gravity gauge tells me it not ready to bottle. All readings done at approx the same temp. Also my brew has probably been sitting at around 22c according to my external fish tank thermometer.

Thanks.

Sounds normal behavior but as Pittsy says a gravity reading is necessary to help understand where it's at.

You really need to keep it in the fermenter for at least 10 days. Fermentation can but done quickly but the yeast then needs time to clean up all the nasties!

How is your hydrometer calibrated? In units of 1 or more? You could be at 1.011. What was the reading when you started the fermentation (OG)?

You say you have "algae" floating in it? What is the smell and taste?

carl_saint said:
You really need to keep it in the fermenter for at least 10 days. Fermentation can but done quickly but the yeast then needs time to clean up all the nasties!

What are the nasties? :-)

Ok after a closer inspection and trying to read my partially ruined instructions I think the OG was 1.041 and is now 1.011 dose that sound correct?

That sounds fine :thumb: It's probably about done but if it has only been in the fermenter for 7 days I would give it at least another 3 more days to drop clear. That way there will be less sediment carried over when bottling/kegging
:cheers:

Ok, if that's the case then you're pretty much at the end of the primary fermentation by the sounds of it so I'd bottle it off.

1041-1011=30 degrees of fermentability, an attenuation of 73% and an ABV of around 3.8%.

BlackPerks said:
I'll be dropping it into a barrel is that still nesacerry?

Not entirely but it won't hurt to leave it a couple of days longer, you'll have less sediment when you get to the bottom of the keg that way
:cheers:

Back