Motorcyclist fined after fireball Cambridge car crash

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Who in your view was to blame for the crash?

• The Biker

• The Car driver

Results are only viewable after voting.
I have studied the footage a few times and concluded that due to proximity of traffic in front the car driver could not see that the road ahead was clear. He should have paused before making the turn.
PS it did look like the bike was shifting a bit especially as it looks like a residential area.
Exactly this. If the driver couldn't see up the road then he shouldn't have made the turn. It doesn't look like the driver hesitated and just made the turn regardless. Biker was obviously motoring somewhat but I don't believe for a second if they'd actually looked properly then this could have been avoided.

I have studied the footage a few times and concluded that due to proximity of traffic in front the car driver could not see that the road ahead was clear. He should have paused before making the turn.
Exactly, if this had been a different motorcycle or car he would have been done for due care and attention.

The biker looked to be only a car length or two from the car that turned in front when he started the manouvre so the car shouldn't have turned.

Seems to be a lot of other factors due to the bikers behaviour, like fleeing the scene and other issues. The bike may not have been road legal, hence no insurance and so on

I have also watched this clip several times and still see the car driver is well at fault he turns as you can see the bike( he has a much better view of the road than we have in the clip) and when in the turn does not make any evasive action at all to try and get out of the situation which says to me he was not fully aware of what was happening around him.
There was no speed up of the car as he must have at some point seen the bike so where was the car driver looking?

Nothing mentioned in the article so i assume not :mad:

I have now read several articles from different papers and non mention the car driver.
... if the driver had accepted responsibility at the scene, received a Fixed Penalty Notice for "driving without due care and attention" in response and paid the fine and accepted the points .... then they wouldn't have had a court appearance and wouldn't have a criminal record (see below from www.askthe.police.uk) ... so the news agencies wouldn't have anything to report on :confused:

Q203: What are fixed penalty notices in relation to driving offences?
Fixed penalty tickets/notices (FPT /FPN) may be issued for road traffic offences and offer an opportunity to settle an offence without the need to go through the court system. If you pay a fixed penalty ticket, all liability for the offence is discharged and the offence doesn't form part of your criminal record.

Regards, PhilB

... if the driver had accepted responsibility at the scene, received a Fixed Penalty Notice for "driving without due care and attention" in response and paid the fine and accepted the points .... then they wouldn't have had a court appearance and wouldn't have a criminal record (see below from www.askthe.police.uk) ... so the news agencies wouldn't have anything to report on :confused:

Regards, PhilB
Not sure the driver would be offered that would he for the severity of the crash?

An eyesight test following an accident would be good. If failed then a charge of driving with defective eyesight. This may make some drivers more inclined to have an eye test perhaps. It won't stop the social media junkies who can't keep their hands of their phones while driving. The thickest of those can't even pair their phones hand free to the car.

Heck today there was an unexpected traffic jam on my way home in the car and I made a detour on unfamiliar roads. - hands free button on steering wheel.....

please speak your command......
"navigate to home" and I was sorted.

. It won't stop the social media junkies who can't keep their hands of their phones while driving. The thickest of those can't even pair their phones hand free to the car.

I agree with you and stats show that too many people still use their phone while driving but i disagree that those who do have the connectivity your Vitara has dont use it, all the old duffers that couldn't program their video back in the day have long gone people are now switched on to the latest technology in cars, my parents now in their late 80s would openly admit they are luddites when it comes to new technology use hands free calling in their car, i imagine the number of drivers that now have the means to connect and do not use it will be small.

Last edited:
When you stop at traffic lights look how many heads go down

What i dont understand it why is it illegal to look at your phone even when parked at the side of the road unless your engine is switched off when its not illegal to eat, drink and smoke when on the move.

Many people believe that it's illegal to eat and drink while driving. That's a myth, but drivers are advised to avoid consuming anything as it could be a distraction and you may be deemed not to be in proper control of your vehicle.

I agree with you and stats show that too many people still use their phone while driving but i disagree that those who do have the connectivity your Vitara has dont use it, all the old duffers that couldn't program their video back in the day have long gone people are now switched on to the latest technology in cars, my parents now in their late 80s would openly admit they are luddites when it comes to new technology use hands free calling in their car, i imagine the number of drivers that now have the means to connect and do not use it will be small.
It has perplexed me the point you make as Mrs DOJ couldn't get handsfree unless I set it up for her and my Son did it himself on his ignis. I do still see 'berks in mercs' holding the phone to the ear, I wonder if handsfree on a luxury car is an optional extra? - Texting isn't as easy hence why you see more heads and eyes dip down than phones glued to the ears. - Android/apple carplay is integrated on my audio system so you can even dictate texts and have them read back, but it requires a cable to be connected and I place my phone in a cubby hole away from the connector. Other car systems dont need a cable for android or apple so I make do with the standard setup.

When i'm on my bike I'm wary of older cars not paying attention but still get a fair share of modern car drivers looking elsewhere than out the windscreen.

Young girls in totoya aygo's, Peugeot 106 or citroen c1's are regular phone in the lap texting offenders in my experience .

It has perplexed me the point you make as Mrs DOJ couldn't get handsfree unless I set it up for her and my Son did it himself on his ignis.

I think the fear of breaking stuff is the main problem with people of a certain generation Mrs Tea can use the sat-nav and phone set up in my car but prefers me to do it, my mother hated using her laptop until i told her she cannot break it beyond repair as a simple roll back will undo almost anything.

Me and the Mrs were sitting in a long traffic queue a while ago and I was watching the woman behind playing on here phone....."she'll drive into us" I says to the Mrs...she did,but only just touching the bumper with no damage. So...I gets out the car and gives her a lecture on phones,murderers and police,in the meantime holding up the massive queue with hand signals.
I missed a trick...I should have taken her phone and slung it into the woods on the side of the road,saying nothing,then calmly drove off.

Nothing mentioned in the article so i assume not :mad:

I have now read several articles from different papers and non mention the car driver.

View attachment 90315
Your still photo is only moments before the crash , when the driver had already turned and may at that stage have been looking at the side road straight ahead. In the still below, the driver has their indicator on and has begun to turn into the side road, and I reckon that the bike is unsighted. If the bike was keeping within the speed limit, the driver most likely would have finished their manouver, before the bike had reached the collision point . Plus in the event that they hadn't, the bike would have had time to brake and stop.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231001_075755_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231001_075755_Gallery.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 0
I think the court has made a example of the bike rider through no insurance etc but the car driver has still turned across a moving vehicle which I think with proper care and attention could have been seen IMO and to stress the car driver did not speed up and try and evade a collision so that makes me think he has glanced and then carried on with his manoeuvre without being aware of what is happening around him.

Back