Mould in my boiler… what am I gonna do?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jzrp

Reaction score
Hi all

So I’m an idiot.

I brewed when my son was down a couple of weeks ago because he was insistent he wanted to learn the process (he’s a 19 not 5 or something haha) and I didn’t have time to clean out the boiler after so covered it and left it.

Thing is… I forgot that I had done this as I usually clean straight after brewing.

I remembered today (couple of weeks later) and went back to check and clean it out and it was full of gross mould.

I have cleaned and scrubbed out the mould, will bin the hop spider and will run a few hot cycles with PBW etc to clean some more.

My question is: is it ok to keep using the boiler? I’m assuming it should be ok but I thought I had better double check what people think

If it was me i would use it using a very basic recipe, any nastie's will be killed in the boil, worst case is you will have to bin it
How would you know if you have a problem? Mould reappearing when in the fermentor?

FWIW I’m running the boiler on boil for an hour a few times with PBW and the pump going etc inbetween cleans this eve

Use caustic TFR (truck wash) first.
(in my head I said that in caps, bold and 40 pitch bright red)
Strip it, and scrub the beejeebers out of it. Rinse thoroughly and then boil it for 15 mins. Make sure you open the valves, run the pump.

Bu33er the PBW its OK when stuff is already clean.

It can be cleaned. But if you feel the need to throw it away I will send you the postage, save you having to try and squeeze it into the wheelie bin 🤣🤣👍🏻

I put mine away really damp one day and it started growing. Been there. Don't panic.

Use caustic TFR (truck wash) first.
(in my head I said that in caps, bold and 40 pitch bright red)
Strip it, and scrub the beejeebers out of it. Rinse thoroughly and then boil it for 15 mins. Make sure you open the valves, run the pump.

Bu33er the PBW its OK when stuff is already clean.

It can be cleaned. But if you feel the need to throw it away I will send you the postage, save you having to try and squeeze it into the wheelie bin 🤣🤣👍🏻

I put mine away really damp one day and it started growing. Been there. Don't panic.
Haha thanks

I don’t have the truck stuff but I have caustic soda granules somewhere for the bathroom or oxi clean… any of those any good?

And yeah my biggest worry is the false bottom and pump to be honest. Got the pump running but can’t see under the false bottom

I would use caustic or VWP would do a good job at the right concentration, just don't leave it in too long then rinse well. Any CIP cleaner should do it imo

I have a Klarstein with a metal grain basket, a while back I didn’t clean the grain basket as throughly as I should have, and a few weeks later found it covered in a layer of black mold. Wiped it down with standard kitchen surface cleaner, then thoroughly cleaned it with Oxiclean, and brewed as normal to no ill effect.

I have a Klarstein with a metal grain basket, a while back I didn’t clean the grain basket as throughly as I should have, and a few weeks later found it covered in a layer of black mold. Wiped it down with standard kitchen surface cleaner, then thoroughly cleaned it with Oxiclean, and brewed as normal to no ill effect.
Mines klarstein too. Luckily the grain basket was out at least

A good clean and the boil will kill everything else just make sure you strip down any parts that can harbour lurgies.
I have left my boiler AIO machine to no detriment

A good clean and the boil will kill everything else just make sure you strip down any parts that can harbour lurgies.
I have left my boiler AIO machine to no detriment
Cheers

Is it usually possible to remove the false bottom and put back? I’d check but my klarstein is full of boiling PBW at the mo

Mines klarstein too. Luckily the grain basket was out at least
I must confess when I first got the inkling to try brewing I didn’t really appreciate just how much time O would be spending cleaning.

But while I tend to be pretty careful on the cold side when it comes to the boiler I keep it clean but generally assume the 100°C heat will take care of things.

I must confess when I first got the inkling to try brewing I didn’t really appreciate just how much time O would be spending cleaning.

But while I tend to be pretty careful on the cold side when it comes to the boiler I keep it clean but generally assume the 100°C heat will take care of things.
Yeah I know what you mean. I usually just rinse out the hop scum etc and then fill it with water and oxi clean and leave it to boil and bump through for an hour and give it a scrub where needed then just rinse with cold water and put it away.

The mould was really gross tho like all kinds of stuff in there so it’s just got me worried. Like everyone’s saying though once’s it’s been boiled a few times and had cleaning stuff pumped through really all should be good. Just wish I could see under the false bottom to check it’s not a mouldy cave in there

Yeah I know what you mean. I usually just rinse out the hop scum etc and then fill it with water and oxi clean and leave it to boil and bump through for an hour and give it a scrub where needed then just rinse with cold water and put it away.

The mould was really gross tho like all kinds of stuff in there so it’s just got me worried. Like everyone’s saying though once’s it’s been boiled a few times and had cleaning stuff pumped through really all should be good. Just wish I could see under the false bottom to check it’s not a mouldy cave in there
That’s all you should really need to do.

I’d perhaps look at removing any taps and taking them apart (although I’d do that between brews anyway). But once anything is visibly clean you’re good, the boil takes care of the rest.

If the hop spider is metal that can be treated the same. If it’s a bag type then it probably just needs a long soak in some hot percarbonate.

Stainless hop spider? Surely a good clean then a spin in the dishwasher or boiling submerged in the kettle with pbw will save binning it...?
You think so? It looked so covered as it was ground zero for the mould (was full of wet hop scum) I just thought with the fine mesh etc it would probably be too risky. Maybe you’re right tho

Latest posts

Back