Moving to an electric boiler....

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheRtHonorable

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I did my first AG BIAB brew a couple of weeks ago, and I think it went pretty well. The beer is bottled and it's looking good!

Anyway, I was using my kitchen hob, which despite being a big range cooker with a huge wok burner, needed the big burner and several others on to bring my wort up to boil. I was boiling 28-ish litres in a 50 litre stainless pan, and I'm not convinced I ever really got it up to a really good boil.

So, I was wondering whether adding electric elements to the boiler would be a good idea? I'm thinking of two 2750w kettle elements, which would be £38...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal...es_Garden_Kitchen_Kettles&hash=item485ab41dfe

I'd need some cable etc and a Qmax cutter, but I'd hope to have it all converted for about £60. I already have plenty of sockets in the kitchen, the house was rewired a couple of years ago, with the kitchen on its own ring main, with an additional socket on the separate cooker circuit, so I should be ok for power.

My question really is does it seem like a good idea? how long would it take to raise say 30 litres of water to strike temp and then up to boiling with two of those elements?

Cheers,

Chris

I use 2 2.2KW kettle elements, however usually only one at a time.
My HLT has one element, controlled by an STC1000, it takes about 30min to raise the tap water (~5-10C) to strike temp (76C allowing for my MT to cool it to 72C) I just switch it on and walk the dog.
Boiler has 2 elements but usually I only use one unless I am in a hurry to get to the boil (lunch time etc) that takes about the same time to raise 6.5Gal of wort to boil after sparging (less if both elements on)

Cost 2 kettle elements (Asda) £6 ea.
Qmax cutter 38mm ~ £12

total £24

Hi RH

I converted from gas to leccy last summer - my big wok hob took forever to reach the boil with a 33 litre stockpot boiler. I uprated to a 60 litre boiler to do 10 gallon brews, and installed 2 elements; one of the Millers Vangaurd pigtails:

http://www.unifit.co.uk/show-group/6/36 ... es-and-acc (scroll to 8th item down)

and a 2kw Backer, to bang 5kw into the boiler

If anything, I find it's a bit of overkill. If I switch-on the elements as soon as they're covered, the wort's coming to the boil before I finish sparging. I think 3kw would be plenty for my 60 litre boiler (holding max 57 litres), and definitely enough for 28 litres.

My suggest would be try a single element - 2.75 to 3kw - and see how you go. I'm sure you'll notice a big difference over the gas hob, but if you still have a need for speed, you could always add another.

I have a 1.5" Qmax cutter just sitting around - whereabouts are you?

Cheers
Chris

Thanks for th replies guys!

My main frustration on my last brew was getting up to temperatures , which just seemed to take forever, hence thinking of getting two elements. I think I'll go for it to be honest.

I'm in Birmingham, so I think after postage I might as well just buy a cutter.. Nice thought though!

On another note, I notice that a lot of people seem to use normal pots as boilers, but insulated pots as mash tuns. If going electric, would an insulated pot be better as a boiler? I'm not planning on swapping, but just wondered...

airymary said:
Hi RH

I converted from gas to leccy last summer - my big wok hob took forever to reach the boil with a 33 litre stockpot boiler. I uprated to a 60 litre boiler to do 10 gallon brews, and installed 2 elements; one of the Millers Vangaurd pigtails:

http://www.unifit.co.uk/show-group/6/36 ... es-and-acc (scroll to 8th item down)

If anything, I find it's a bit of overkill. If I switch-on the elements as soon as they're covered, the wort's coming to the boil before I finish sparging. I think 3kw would be plenty for my 60 litre boiler (holding max 57 litres), and definitely enough for 28 litres.

My suggest would be try a single element - 2.75 to 3kw - and see how you go. I'm sure you'll notice a big difference over the gas hob, but if you still have a need for speed, you could always add another.

Cheers
Chris

I'm in London and looking to get hold of a Q-max for installing elements. If the original poster doesn't need it is there any chance of jumping in on that offer once my stock pot turns up?

Hi there,
I BIAB and have insulated all of my boilers (3). I use the bubble wrap type radiator reflector material then covered with Yoga mat material cut to size all held together with Gaffer tape. It makes a significant difference to the "Get to 72*C" for steeping and "get to boil" time thus saving electricity.

It would also possibly enable you to fit a single element to see if it came to the boil on a single element while you could still fit a second element if necessary.

highly beneficial insulating getting to a boil

then take off to cool

2 elements miles better than one to get to a boil
:thumb:

serum said:
airymary said:
Hi RH

Cheers
Chris

I'm in London and looking to get hold of a Q-max for installing elements. If the original poster doesn't need it is there any chance of jumping in on that offer once my stock pot turns up?

Sure - sling me a pm when your pot arrives

airymary said:
serum said:
airymary said:
Hi RH

Cheers
Chris

Sure - sling me a pm when your pot arrives

That's really helpful, thanks.

Pot just turned up but it was all bent so I've got to return it :(

Will give you a shout in a week or two

Latest posts

Back