Mr Beer Diablo IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steviewell

Reaction score
I have attached a pic of the instructions for this brew. I just plan to do this the normal way though, up to about 9 litres ("8.5 quarts") @ 20C in my fermenter bucket. A couple of questions I would really appreciate anyone's input on please?

1. No sugar in the fermenter? I was expecting about 500g brewing sugar?

2. 2.5 teaspoons of priming sugar (seems about 5x too much surely?).

Really appreciate your thoughts please?

diabloIPA.JPG

is an american teaspoon the same as a uk one?

Diablo or other names for the devil tend to be strong straw coloured belgian ales like duvel, which has a ton of carbonation.

I'd suggest entering your figures into a beer priming calculator using the co2 volume for the style of beer as a double or should i say DUVEL check :lol:

best wishes on your brew keep us posted

If I make it a little stronger, say a 7.5l batch (2 US gallons) then Im looking at about 40-50g priming sugar throughout. Which is about 3g per bottle - what I would expect.

Where they get 2.5 teaspoons (UK or USA) I cant fathom.

Any input to the actual brewing sugar addition anyone please?

primesugar.JPG

Did this kit in April this year. From memory I also had this issue, and decided to add a teaspoon of sugar to a 500 mls bottles. The beer turned out well carbonated, dark brown in colour, with a hoppy / bitter taste. Not one that suited my taste, but a decent beer.

Did this kit in April this year. From memory I also had this issue, and decided to add a teaspoon of sugar to a 500 mls bottles. The beer turned out well carbonated, dark brown in colour, with a hoppy / bitter taste. Not one that suited my taste, but a decent beer.

Thanks Orval62, do you recall if you added brewing sugar/spray malt to the kit?
It is just a single can, seems strange not to add anything.

No sugar req with this kit:thumb:, as with many kits throw the instructions away leave in the fv for 2 weeks :grin:

I added 1 tsp of sugar for bottling :thumb:

havent even heard of a priming calculator! cheers will look up

no probs,

also do they say what size bottle? 2.5 teaspoons for a 750 bottle might be ok.

I tend to use 135g of brewing sugar into 20l and that gives a good result for me. (around 2.4 volumes.) Duval needs more than that. But whatever you decide put some beer into a plastic screwtop bottle. When the bottle turns rock hard time to move them somewhere cooler.

Latest posts

Back