Muntons Highland Heavy

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks vossy1

I brewed this 2 month ago with brewing sugar for carbonation in bottles it made a lovely strong dark ruby beer with decent head, it just had a little twang on the aftertaste , just wondered if anyone else had had a go at this with a barrel or something different to bottle up for a smoother taste.

Me and 2 mates had a night on this and it did make for a thick head the next day so beware.

I started this yesterday. As I often see, it started creating CO2 almost immediately (but then my primary fermenter is well sealed). 24 hours on and it's well on it's way. The krausen looks unusual, a bit like meringue, as if it were dry and crunchy.

It looks a very dark brown colour, like Newcasle Brown Ale, and the wort tasted quite bitter.

To be honest I'm not expecting this to be one of the best; I read it's quite bitter and don't see many positive comments. I keep an open mind and will report back.

So I'm back. Still young at 2 weeks in the keg but possible to comment. Lovely dark ruby red colour, very clear, but not to my taste. I was expecting what I got, so no surprise. There is heavier use of roasted malts and bittering hops than other kits I've tried. It's a heavy ale edging towards stout flavour. Don't get me wrong, I like Guinness, but Guinness leaves a cleaner aftertaste than this. While drawing the drink it's OK (if a little salty), but then within a second of swallowing, this overwhelming raw bitteress starts to grow, like you've just shoved 50 one pence pieces in your mouth.

It offers what it says on the tin, so it's not a bad kit per-se, but I guess such a flavour would have limited interest from most. There will be some out there who love it of course. It won't be on my shortlist.

I'm not a fussy person and I'm happy to eat and drink pretty much anything, so in some respect I'm still trying to identify where my preferences do lie it terms of beer style. I have a feeling it might be more the IPA and golden ale area, and my first IPA brew is now clearing :).

My St Peters IPA is great by the way. Just had one tonight then switched to the Highland Heavy. WHOA, Soreen malt loaf coming right through; this is one malty beer.

Latest posts

Back