Muntons Medium Spray Malt

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wherrypuzzled

Regular.
Reaction score
Can't find any mention of this via "search" so ....

Do people melt it or process it in any way before adding it to their brew - in my case Wherry of course

I've used it 5 or so times before always just stirring it into the hot liquid and it takes some "melting" and blending but (and people will say this is all that counts) there is improved taste and strength once brewed

Cheers wherrypuzzled

Last edited:
Can't find any mention of this via "search" so ....

Do people melt it or process it in any way before adding it to their brew - in my case Wherry of course

I've used it 5 or so times before always just stirring it into the hot liquid and it takes some "melting" and blending but (,and people will say this is all that counts" there is improved taste and strength once brewed

Cheers wherrypuzzled
I just stir it in to cold water. It had already been boiled so doesn't need boiling again unless you used a half opened packet and don't want to risk an infection. It is harder to dissolve it in cold water for sure, but pouring it into water that gives of steam means you get it clinging to the opening in the packet that you pour it from.

I hand stir it in like mad I now have arms like popeye but really should fit a stir paddle on the end of a drill to save my arms.

It just goes into your FV with the wort and some boiling water. It can take a little while, but it will dissolve. Just keep on stirring until everything is liquid.

It will add 'body' to your beer - much more so than sugar.

Thanks .... That's one to try for sure.

All my life I've had arms like Olive Oil lol so may make a late in life improvement

One reason I was using Holland and Barratts "liquid" Malt ... so much easier

Cheers wp

I put a large pot on the hob and add the liquid extract first plus 3 litres of hot water. I then add the dry malt extract and use a whisk to stir it in. The whisk is great for breaking down the clumps and making sure that all is properly dissolved. I then add all to the fermentation bucket and top up with water to 23 litres stirring with a paddle.

I use 1 kg of DME per 1 can kit, dissolved in 3 litres of water. Pour into cold water (also stops the malt sticking to the pocket as dad_of_jon says) and bring to the boil. I boil till the solution is clear and stops foaming,

I use 1 kg of DME per 1 can kit, dissolved in 3 litres of water. Pour into cold water (also stops the malt sticking to the pocket as dad_of_jon says) and bring to the boil. I boil till the solution is clear and stops foaming,
Thanks Bernie

That sounds like "a plan". I did my latest batch yesterday and unfortunately ended up with some lumps which I took out and ditched - about as big as a large egg between them I suppose

Either that or switch back to LME

Cheers all for all suggestions wp

Thanks Bernie

That sounds like "a plan". I did my latest batch yesterday and unfortunately ended up with some lumps which I took out and ditched - about as big as a large egg between them I suppose

Either that or switch back to LME

Cheers all for all suggestions wp
There are lumps but eventually they all dissolve. Take care as it tends to foam. Eventually, from a cloudy solution it becomes clear and stops foaming.

Back