Muntons midland mild ale - out of date brew experiment

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewDan

Landlord.
Reaction score
Just got this one going today, bit of a 'see what happens brew' as everything I used apart from the BKE was out of date, and the whole thing from sterilising to clean up was done in just over an hour. I just had a few bits laying about which I wanted to use up before going to AG

Used tap water and a quarter of a campden tablet - for the first time, to see if it would remove the TCP taste I have had previously when using tap water

So for this kit I used the following:

1 1.5kg can out of date muntons midland mild ale
1kg beer enhancer
1 pack of out of date brupaks flavapack ale
Tap water to 20 litre mark with a quarter campden tablet (in the hope it will remove chlorine)
1 pack muntons yeast pitched at 23c
OG 1.043ish

Lets see what happens in a few weeks time! if it ferments I will bottle a few and may stick the rest in the king keg I have not used for around 2 years. As I said, its just a bit of an experiment to use up the bits rather than throw them away.

Now I just have 3 beer kits, 1 wine kit and a spirit kit to make up before I intend to go AG :party: :party:

:cheers:

Cheers Rob, im sure it will be ok :hmm: I have made a few out of date kits, it was mainly the flavapack thing and the use of tap water/campdem tablet which I am unsure on, as I have not done either before.

its not even been a couple of hours and its already bubling and throwing the top part of the airlock off, time to tape it up and wait!! :thumb:

Latest posts

Back