Muntons - Old English Bitter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drayman151

Reaction score
I would highly recommend this kit and I brewed this beer on the 2nd july this year and I tasted it on Saturday I have bottled 10 500ml bottles and put the rest in the cask and I know its early but it was excellent crystal clear and to be honest I could have polished about 5-6 of :cheers: but it does say on the kit to save some for at least 6 months so I am trying to fingers crossed and I am going to open the cask this weekend and to be honest its early but its to good to wait for but I have already got another to brew again

will keep you informed and publish a picture if i can

:drunk:

:drink: just to let you know this beer is excellent and i don't think it will see the weekend out and the friends are coming round and this beer is going to be a regular in the bar will publish a picture shortly :drink:

Mine never lasted more than a couple of weeks, an absolute stonker of a beer! For those who have more restraint than Drayman151 or I, and if you actually can leave it for the months they recommend, well I'm in awe of your powers!

A straight forward kit, I had absolutely no problems with it, fermentation finished after 11 days in the FV giving me an approx ABV of 4.4%. Taste is a really full on English bitter (like it says on the tin), reminded me of a pint of Cains from Liverpool for those who might be familiar with it?

Definitely will be doing again towards autumn.

Bottled 40 of these last week. Mine only came out at 3.8% tho. Can't wait to try them in a few weeks.

Mine's been conditioning in the keg for just over a week and my impressions from a QC sample has been that the initial flavour profile is good - though I wouldn't mind a bit more bitterness in a "bitter" - but it all washes away a bit quickly; it just seems a bit thin. Hopefully that will improve with a bit more time in the keg...

I brewed this with 500g Dark + 500g Light spraymalt (don't ask). Will let you know how it turns out...

Underscore said:
Mine's been conditioning in the keg for just over a week and my impressions from a QC sample has been that the initial flavour profile is good - though I wouldn't mind a bit more bitterness in a "bitter" - but it all washes away a bit quickly; it just seems a bit thin. Hopefully that will improve with a bit more time in the keg...

A quick update after another week: the taste is definitely filling out now - and there's a hint of wheat beer to it. The problem I'm now facing is that my garage is too cold so the beer has absorbed all the CO2 and there isn't enough pressure to serve the beer. Hopefully it'll warm up a bit over the next week or so and I'll be able to start drinking the beer!

_

Markus said:
I brewed this with 500g Dark + 500g Light spraymalt (don't ask). Will let you know how it turns out...

This was bottled and stored at 20C for 2 weeks. It's been in the fridge for only 2 days but I had to try one. Absolutely fantastic. Can't believe it will get better :cheers:

I've had all my Munton's Bitters and enjoyed every one more than the last. I've sincce brewed another batch using 1KG dark DME plus a load of dextrose to make it a bit stronger. OG was 1.055 and I have to say this stronger version is definitely not as nice as my first batch which came in at 1.042 and was made with 1KG DME, half light, half dark.

Started this kit on 9th July 2013. However it's a little speculative as the kit was a year past best date. (anyone got experience, knowledge or strong opinions on this?)

The brew was not very active. However, barrelled it up with >85g caster sugar 16 days after starting, into a Boots pressure barrel, and a squirt of Hambleton.

Have drawn off a half for you tonight ;) and I can report is a nice strong colour, has a mild aroma... And the taste... The alcohol's there, but the flavour needs to develop. So this will be a Christmas pint.

I'll update the review then :)

Cheers,
DJA

Deejie said:
?... I can report is a nice strong colour, has a mild aroma... And the taste... The alcohol's there, but the flavour needs to develop. So this will be a Christmas pint.

I'll update the review then :)

A few weeks on (couldn't wait 'til Xmas) and the aroma has developed well - rich and fruity. The taste is also filling out well, but needs more time to mature. The pint is still clearing.

I'll return to it when the autumn sets in.
DJA

Hi all!
Just started homebrewing, almost done fermenting, when I, bright, illuminated person that I am, threw away the box where the kit came in. So we don't know what the right amount of sugar was that this brew needs.. Could someone help us out and tell?

Someone in this house is looking really sad right now.. As a reward, we'll tell you how the beer was around christmas!

If it's fermenting then surely you've added the sugar already? Or do you mean to prime it? For priming this would need around 80g for the whole batch or roughly half teaspoon per bottle.

6 premium kits in and this comes out on top! Toffee aroma and slighly toffee in the taste, just well balanced and not too flavoursome. Different to the other kits; nice.

I think my preference is for the less bitter ales and this fits the bill.

Very noticable toffee taste on this one, as mentioned above.

Not an every time taste, but is pleasant none the less.

Might be a brilliant base for a Xmas type brew, it could stand a lot of spicing, hopping, general pimping and chucking in of sugar etc and still be OK.

:drink:

I bottled my third batch of this last month. This time used (medium or maybe amber) liquid malt extract instead of dry. No added sugar since last time I did that it didn't turn out as nice. Been cold conditioning for about a week now. This is the first time I've noticed a slight twang of something from it. Maybe toffee, but at the time I thought it was something else. Will sample another tonight and try to put my finger on it... :thumb:

Latest posts

Back