My AG#1 BIAB

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Titus A Duxass

Regular.
Reaction score
My first AG BIAB is planned for tomorrow (31st Okt 13).
I set up my equipment this afternoon.

Here's what it looks like

I rigged up a small pulley and with some paracord I am able to lift the bag out easily.
It's a standard Bergland 50L pot so I'll be syphoning in to the FV.
I'll use my bag as a hop sack this time around.

Depending on how I get on I may add a tap and sight glass to the pot.

I'm going to try something very similar to Sara Carter's IPA have 5kg of pale ale malt, some wheat and some Vienna malt along with some Amarillo, Centennial and Chinook hops.

I will be using the guide from the forum.

I think I have everything (apart from a checklist).

Clever pulley system Titus :D ......... and I do like the solid work bench :thumb:

Handcrafted that work bench, i've built an 8ft dory, a 14ft and a sideboard on that bench.
It's also my welding bench and now it's my brewing bench.

I made from scratch without any plans.

The pulley idea I found on the Ozzie BIAB forum.

Well it all ran reasonably smoothly but there are a lot of things that I could have done better.
I went with:

5kg of pale ale malt,
0.18 Vienna malt
0.1 of Wheat Malt
The same hop schedule of Amarillo, Centennial and Chinook.

For some reason I think I only put 36l in the pot and ended up with just short of 20l in the FV.
I topped this up to 23l with boiling water.

The FV gravity came out at 1050.

Things to improve on:

Better note keeping.
Consider fitting a top and hop sieve to the pot.
Learn how to use on of the brewing software apps, I find them way to confusing.
Buy another thermometer - they melt if you leave them too close to the burner! (and it was brand new!)

I have found a quick way of cooling though.

I picked up a builders mortar pail/holder - it's about a metre across and is nearly the same height as my FV.
It holds 90l and costs an enormous amount - 5,80€!

I stood the FV in it and fill it with water from my bore hole which comes out of the ground at 12c.
It cooled everything down in about 30 mins.

I threw in a packet of Nottingham yeast and this morning it has a lovely big frothy head with lots coming out of the bubbler.

I'm going to wait until I've transferred it to the PB (or to a secondary FV) and then I'm going to do the Blacksheep from Wheeler's book.

Cheers
TAD.

Welldone mate :thumb: .
Have you tried the BIABacus? Extremely useful tool once you get your head around it :D .

Just checked the gravity - it's down to 1010 after a week.
It tastes good with lots of hops, maybe a touch too much.

It'll have to stay in the FV for another 8 days as I go away on business early Monday.

This has been sitting in my cold cellar for a couple of weeks clearing.

So yesterday I thought I would try a pint, it was so good I had to have 2 pints - stunning!

Lot's of hops with some citrus flavour coming later.

I've just bottled it all off with a bit of sugar in the bottle, hopefully there will still be some yeast about to give me the secondary.

Latest posts

Back