My first AG (BIAB) turns in to a nightmare.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SweetMoFo

Reaction score
Hi all. I finaly got round to doing my first AG using the Brew in a bag method. It all started out well and apart from worrying about a degree to high or low on the mash all was going well. I was at a nice rolling boil and had added my first hops, 15 mins later the boil was holding realy well until it stoped. I'm using a buffalo 40L electric boiler and on its first use it cut out, a quick google told me they sometimes cut out but will start up after 5 mins (thermal cut out). But after 20 mins still nothing.

I decided to empty the boiler in to a cube and check out the boiler. I fount the thermal fuse had blown so I safely shorted it and put the wort back and continued the boil.

My question is would the 1 hour gap in the boil be a problem? The wort dropped to 70C before I put it back?

p.s. I was brewing alemans erdinger clone

It certainly can't be helped now.... but I would think that it will not have caused too much of a problem, certainly not enough to ruin your beer. I would have continued the boil after repairs, making sure the wort got its 60 mins at full boiling temps.
Have you removed the thermal cut out disc on your boiler ? I appreciate you say that it was the thermal cut out fuse that blew, that happens occasionally and you should replace it as soon as possible.

Your brew day should not be a total disaster I would have thought.

Sorry to hear about your boiler going t**sup... :( and on your big day...lady luck can be a bitch at times. Well you know the old adage "pick yourself, dust yourself off".....get the boiler sorted, have a test run and get a roiling boil with 20 liters of water see what happens.

Then plan your next brew...we all have cockups, will your first brew be ok ??? well I can't say for sure, you just have to see it through to the finish. It could turn out to be a great brew...fingers crossed for you. :pray:

It'll be fine! Relax! :thumb:
The only downside I can see is your hop flavours and aromas might be different to planned.

My AG1 had a faulty element which meant there was a 36 hour pause in the boil. The recipe was also wrong and as such the taste is odd as a result but not "off" the only thing that I have found, and this may be the result of either problem, is that the beer is cloudy.

Thanks for the reassurance guys. Im sure it will be drinkable but it's always good to here someone else say it.

Downside is a very long and annoying first AG with bed at 3:30am and up for work 5 hours later

Upside is now I've voided the warrantee so I can customise my boiler with a bulkhead and PID. Also my next brew will be a walk in the park and I've got 23L of beer that may be fantastic.

that is the reason i never use one of those i think plastic boiler with 2 tesco elements in so if one goes pete tong you got one spare that is my opinion any way :thumb:

ps welcome to the dark side you will love it :clap: :thumb:

Back