My first turbo cider

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BernieRob

Reaction score
The time has come do my 1st turbo cider. I'm going to use Morrisons apple juice from concentrate. Is says 10.3g of sugar per 100ml. Is there a calculation to work out sugar content to abv? Thinking of doing 23ltr but using 18ltrs apple juice and 5ltrs water. I've seen full apple juice makes diesel, so thought I'd thin it a little so I can enjoy it rather than miss days. Any advice?

The time has come do my 1st turbo cider. I'm going to use Morrisons apple juice from concentrate. Is says 10.3g of sugar per 100ml. Is there a calculation to work out sugar content to abv? Thinking of doing 23ltr but using 18ltrs apple juice and 5ltrs water. I've seen full apple juice makes diesel, so thought I'd thin it a little so I can enjoy it rather than miss days. Any advice?

Yes
20g sugar per litre times by volume then times by abv you want
So for example
20g x 23litres x 5 = 2,300

So 103g of sugar per ltr x 23ltrs making x 5% I would like gives 11845. But I ' m not sure what this is. Would 18 ltrs juice and 5 ltrs water blow my head off ?

Just using straight apple juice comes out at 6% I guess, so yours maybe 5% with your water but may affect the taste?? I just do it straight but after 4x500ml bottles i'm on my way:smile:

So 103g of sugar per ltr x 23ltrs making x 5% I would like gives 11845. But I ' m not sure what this is. Would 18 ltrs juice and 5 ltrs water blow my head off ?
Not quite right it is always 20g sugar per litre
So in a calculator you would type 20 (grams) x 23 (volume in litres) x 5 (the abv you want) which would be 20 x 23 x 5 = 2,300
2300g being the total sugar you'll need to reach 5%

With your juice equaling 103g per litre x 18 = 1,854

You would do 2300 - 1854 = 446g of extra sugar you'll need

I'll follow you frogbrew. All juice no water , whats the worse that can happen!!

Help usex 23ltrs tesco apple juice 0.5ltr strong cold tea 1pk Wilko's Gervin wine yeast 5g and a spoon of yeast nutrient. From what i've read these things set off very quickly. 24 hours later not a single bubble. Bucket is in conservatory so should be warm enough. Do I give it more time more yeast or just a jolly good stir. I can't have the 1st turbo failure!!

Help

I don't make cider but if you have only used just over a teaspoon of yeast and nutrient its probably not enough, i use 3 teaspoons of yeast and 5 teaspoons of nutrient in a 22.5 litre wine.

Agree with chippy, put another tsp of each in.. Plus don't let it get too hot, in my conservatory it reaches 40degrees when shut up so not an ideal place.

I presumed 1sachet was enough. Luckily 1bought 2 so I'll toss that in now with some more nutrent. It doesn't get that hot in there I've done 3 buckets of wine and 3 ale without any issue. Thanks for all the advice. It is appreciated by a numpty newbie.

2 hours later and the buckket is bubbling away like a good'un. Its amazing what using the correct amount if ingregients can do. Not a failure, just a slow startet, bit like me really.
Thanks all

Me again. Cider not bubbled all day so checked with hydrometer. Its down to 1002 from 1048 in 48 hours so I'm guessing fermentation is over. Measures just over 6%. Gona leave it a few days to be sure, but can it get any lower. If so will is get stronger or dryer?

you want to be leaving it for two weeks, the yeasties need time to do their work and clean up afterwards, I know its hard to be that patient but you'll end up with a better cider. It will get slightly stronger and drier if it gets any lower but I backsweeten to taste anyhow.

I will leave this now as you say. I need to get the next one going. Thanks for your advice

I've made this in the past both with cider yeast and champagne yeast. You're best bet is to leave in the bottle to mature for at least a couple of months. Will turn out champagne dry though

Latest posts

Back