My Introduction

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zim

Reaction score
My very first awareness of home brew was in the 1940,s when I have childhood memory of my Grandads stone jar bubbling away with some evil brew.Never drank any tho.
My first attempts came early 1960,s.I was a development chemist in an industrial laboratory and me and two others used to brew at work.The Chief Chemist gave his blessing as long as it took place in lunch hour.He also liked the odd bottle.
I do remember that we used one recipe book and I think it was published by The Womens Institute.I dont remember any kits being readily available and our yeast was ordered from the bakers shop.At that time most working class men drank beer and women sherry or portand lemonade.Our wine knowledge was nil and if you did buy wine as a treat it was usually very sweet.I do remember our home brew was quite sweet.I couldn,t drink it now.
Coming now to more modern times I brew both wine,beer and cider from kits.I use all the commercially available one,s and have no serious complaints.I also brew fruit wines from my allotment produce.I,ve never bothered with root veg or flower wines.The only snag I get is despite using pectolayze I still get haziness.Tastes OK tho.
Must say I like Wilkinsons range and they are easy to get without having to travel or mail order.

Never done parsnip or carrot, despite having an allotment? Shame on you!
Which fruits is it you get haze from?

Latest posts

Back