My post, Pink army

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would not consider calling someone a FB being racist as people of all colour can be fat, when a racist calls a black person a BB it is because of the colour of their skin.
This is interesting. Calling someone a BB is racist, agreed. Calling someone an FB because they're overweight isn't racist, but it might cause more hurt to the tubby individual than the individual who was called a BB.So what is it about racism? Is this the issue about "holier than thou" when we refrain from making racist comments but are indifferent to insulting fatties, redheads, people with big ears or who wear glasses etc, etc. Or is there something particularly insidious about racism that doesn't apply to other groups.

Discuss. Explore more than one point of view.
50 marks

Extension question:
Is my referring to a group as "fatties" (for the purpose of demonstration only) any less offensive than using a racial slur to identify to another group?

This is interesting. Calling someone a BB is racist, agreed. Calling someone an FB because they're overweight isn't racist, but it might cause more hurt to the tubby individual

Obviously being called a FB is not nice but i dont class that as racism so I guess it depends on your view of what racism is, the only time i see acts of racism is at football matches and its always black players getting the stick (recent video below) so for me being a racist means you hate black people as per my football post earlier.

Weight stigma refers to the discriminatory acts and ideologies targeted towards individuals because of their weight and size. Weight stigma is a result of weight bias.
Weight bias refers to the negative ideologies associated with obesity.
https://www.worldobesity.org/

Last edited:
Screenshot_20230526_131441_Google.jpg

It doesn't matter if there are genetic instincts at play. You can quite literally think whatever you want. You might even think yourself superior to any number of people, because of any number of protected characteristics they may have. The problem is, and always has been, allowing these instincts to inform your acts or omissions.

And for those things, there is no excuse, instinctual or otherwise.

If you refuse to override your instincts before they result in you saying or doing something bigoted then that is 100% on you.

The "following instincts" argument is disingenuous anyway. Society as we know it wouldn't have come close to existing if we allowed that, so it's frankly nonsense to claim it as an excuse for racism.

There are a LOT of people who just want to be allowed to air their racist/bigoted views in peace. Usually the same sort of people who glibly say things like "Where's straight pride day" or claim that the white male is oppressed these days.

One thing is for sure they wouldn't get away with putting this on TV these days, it was one of the most popular TV series back in the 70s.

This was the pilot episode.

Last edited:
I can remember my parents watching that when i was a nipper.

There was a good documentary on Youtube about the ending of The Black and White Minstrels, doesn't seem to be available in this country anymore may be in the UK. Your link didn't work here but this is a small part of the doco.

Latest posts

Back