My post, Pink army

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really don’t hate anyone, and find it hard to imagine the feeling of hate. No one is born evil (I’m not Catholic evidently) and people are a complex product of environment, genetics and experiences. It doesn’t mean I like everyone - crikey no, and there are some people I see as irredeemable but hate that’s hard.

As a doctor I’ve needed to help some really really unpleasant people, people who have done things that society find abhorrent - and are perhaps unrepentant, I’ve still treated them like a human being still done the best I could for them. Hate to me is something I equate with wanting someone to be hurt and suffer. I really just can’t do that.

And on that note I’m signing off from this thread, I recognise I’m likely annoying people, so before I wind any of you up anymore I’m going to exit stage left.
Oh dear @DocAnna you have me wrong. I don’t hate to the true meaning of the word. When I say “I hate Louie spence” I don’t mean that I hate him and want him to suffer I just hate the way he carries himself on.
Hating someone takes more from you than the person you hate.

Seems like we're moving further and further from being a brewing forum to becoming a morality forum. Let's not say anything that could be even remotely construed against as possibly offending anyone just in case they belong to a minority. Let's condemn RH to the eternal fires of hell because he didn't apologise before he followed the path of the old Australian stockman he was so fond of singing about. Thank the gods we're not kiddie fiddlers (he always protested his innocence) and are therefore perfect and have never harmed anybody, caused lasting grief or distress or inflicted lifelong trauma on a living soul. I hope his family are not reading that thread in their time of grief. Not even going to comment again on the PS thread as I've been deleted from it already for suggesting there are more important and urgent things going on that we really do need to address. The point is, I think @DocAnna hits one of the nails right on the head with her ethic of trying to hate nobody. It's a goal to strive for and I wonder how many of us reach it. But while we're all falling short of that ideal, let's continue to follow in the footsteps of the Prophet @Clarence and do our slagging off in the "boozer" and, having left said premises, let us leave casting the first stone to those who are without sin as the Man said. I'm not an Evangelical, by the way, I find those guys "difficult", I've opted to follow the Norse gods of Asgaard as I really don't want to associate with those who call themselves Christians. Doesn't mean the Lad didn't come up with the occasional decent one-liner, though.

Seems like we're moving further and further from being a brewing forum to becoming a morality forum
The Snug is as well you know the place for all nom brewing chat, if you or anyone else would prefer not to see it or any posts from it let me know and i will make it disappear.

I think as a species, we are a long way from our beginnings (cripes I am picking my words carefully) and out of touch with the animal we are. The animal thoughts and instincts are still there, but civility / society insist we suppress them. I find hate a bit much (only cos it suggests I care enough to actively dislike) but have to agree there are fooking tw@ts that get my goat.

I really don’t hate anyone, and find it hard to imagine the feeling of hate. No one is born evil (I’m not Catholic evidently) and people are a complex product of environment, genetics and experiences. It doesn’t mean I like everyone - crikey no, and there are some people I see as irredeemable but hate that’s hard.

As a doctor I’ve needed to help some really really unpleasant people, people who have done things that society find abhorrent - and are perhaps unrepentant, I’ve still treated them like a human being still done the best I could for them. Hate to me is something I equate with wanting someone to be hurt and suffer. I really just can’t do that.

I think that is a great quality you have, and a great job you do.
I found I was far more forgiving (life & let live) in my youth. No much less so now. I could never imagine being a grumpy old git, but here I am slaying it 😁

And I certainly don't think you will offend anyone here.

I think as a species, we are a long way from our beginnings (cripes I am picking my words carefully) and out of touch with the animal we are. The animal thoughts and instincts are still there, but civility / society insist we suppress them. I find hate a bit much (only cos it suggests I care enough to actively dislike) but have to agree there are fooking tw@ts that get my goat.
And therein lies the problem we are all genetically programmed to be the beast we are no longer supposed to be. And its no use those thinking they are holier than thou believing they are any different, but they will finger point instead of making allowances. We have come a long way but we are not devoid of those feelings we were programmed to ensure the survival of the fittest and probably never will be

A slight aside, but perhaps that's the problem. We traditionally regard the entire animal kingdom as a block, which compared to human beings is of negligible moral worth. It's becoming clear that that is less and less true and perhaps we haven't widened the gap as much as we like to think. The moral philosopher Peter Singer (Monash Uni Melbourne at one time) accuses us of "speciesism" something akin to racism and argues the case that we should rethink these relative values. Singer is not a furry kitten cuddler, but a hard-headed utilitarian and writes quite persuasively although I don't agree with everything he says. His new book comes out on June 8th. I've preordered mine and can't wait to read it.
1685001472022.png

Last edited:
I don't agree no one is born a racist.
No one is born a murderer, a bigot a bully and many other things. It is just the behavior's we are programmed with, our main aim is to survive. The same as any other living thing. Plenty of reading material on behavioral science and we share it with out common ancestors. One species of ape will not take kindly to another.

Back