My STC Build (with pics!)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was trying to keep things as simple, straight forward and tidy looking as possible, does anyone else do anything different?

I've been thinking about modifying my brew fridge to include an old computer fan or two. There are a few options that I have considered.

Depending on how large an enclosure you've got (and how skilled you are with electrics) you could incorporate a voltage transformer inside your enclosure. A good option for this would be a 12v lighting transformer which you can pick up for a few quid on ebay. Actually this would be easy to wire in to your mains supply and just provide a 12v out that you should be able to easily wire a fan to.

I've not tried - but looking on Screwfix I reckon this device for £6.49 should do the job http://www.screwfix.com/p/halolite-...g&gclid=COD54cvih8gCFWjmwgodtG4KmA&kpid=48058

Last edited:
What fans are people using for inside their brew fridges? I am currently looking at one of these, thoughts?

I have used one very similar plugged into the main supply socket so on all the time.
This one Fan

Am controlling the speed by using one of these Speed control but not sure its that necessary the fan isn't that strong.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you used anything similar before and is it just a case of wiring to terminals?

Any electricians out there know if we could use something like this off fleabay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LED-Light...2W-White-UK-/131498329993?hash=item1e9de94789

It's CE marked which is a good start, and the wiring up looks very simple. I would say it would work quite nicely. It wouldn't even need to sit within the enclosure - as long as you have got long enough wires on your fan that is.

Yes mate that LED driver looks like it'll work fine. Definitely very easy to wire up - you could wire it into the same connections as your STC. Do you want it on all the time, or just when the heater kicks in perhaps? If you only want the fan to run with the heater, just wire the live from the 230v side of the transformer to the heater live (switched live) on your STC. The neutral can be wired to the neutral connector that is on the supply side of your STC.

NB - one note of caution. I would advise against installing this transformer inside a home-made enclosure - or at least initially - as it could get hot. If it were me I'd wire it in separately and just get it working, then run it for 24 hours and see how hot it gets. I don't honestly know if these units do get hot or not, but I would expect it would. In which case you wouldn't want it crammed into an enclosure with no air-flow.

Hope this helps!

Back