My very first Cider brews

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corby_brewer

Landlord.
Reaction score
hey all.

Tonight i made my very first Cider. With both its only a brew lenght of 4ltrs. Used the demi-johns which i got off freecycle.

Mrs siv chose this one, you name it its in it. With this i used a youngs wine yeast.
019.jpg

I chose this one, a good old turbo cider, with this i used youngs cider yeast.
018.jpg

davesiv said:
The exotic juice with wine yeast on the left is slow, but the TC one the right with cider yeast is going like the clappers.
Now you know why it's called TURBO Cider :lol:

I leave mine for about 2 to 3 days after fermentation has finished to allow some of the yeast to drop out of suspension before I bottle or keg :thumb:

well time to sample my ciders,
the TC is very very very nice, a quick sample b4 i bottled. and well happy with the result. ill defo be making more.
as for the other stuff :sick: it tasted like the cheap stuff you get for £1 a ltr, very dry and not a lot of taste. i added another ltr of juice and put it back into another demi-john to see if that makes any difference.

just having a quick pint of the exotic juice cider and its not to bad now, ill definatly be making it again. the only problem is its a bit to dry for mrs siv. any ideas how i can sweeten it up a bit,

oh yes the turbo cider is dam good to :clap:

it tasted like the cheap stuff you get for £1 a ltr, very dry and not a lot of taste.

I think it may be because you used a "juice drink" they are only something like 20% to 40% juice, the rest is sugar and water, total rip off! I like the way the put juice in large letters and drink in tiny letters below it. You're best looking at the ingredients to make sure its 100% juice.

any ideas how i can sweeten it up a bit,

You can sweeten it with artificial sweetener, I've heard Splenda is very good, if you use sugar if can start to ferment again and bottles will blow up and stuff, this happened to me a few months back (luckily the cork blew off before the bottle smashed). Or you could just sweeten it with sugar right before drinking it of course, most people find that weird but it's just like sticking sugar in tea.

Back