My Young's IPA brew is ready to bottle

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Howard Taylor

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have my 4th Young's IPA brew ready to bottle. Having decanted it from the original FV into another vessel leaving the Lees behind I unfortunately left the last few pints very cloudy indeed as I tilted the ordinal FV and then accidently dropped it back to a level surface while siphoning. To limit the cloudiness of the entire brew I now have the last 6 pints or so in a separate container. My question is can I now leave the complete brew in the two containers for a few days to settle? My concern here is that the beer has been dry hopped so if I leave it to settle at this stage will the fragrance introduced from the hopping process reduce significantly? So, if I can let the brew settle before bottling, what's the recommended maximum time limit for that settling period? One more question should I procure some Issinglass or other fining material and add that before bottling? I haven't used finings with my other brews and they turned out clear enough.
Thanks for any assistance you can give.

I unfortunately left the last few pints very cloudy indeed as I tilted the ordinal FV and then accidently dropped it back to a level surface while siphoning.
Put a block of wood or similar under one side of the base

To limit the cloudiness of the entire brew I now have the last 6 pints or so in a separate container. My question is can I now leave the complete brew in the two containers for a few days to settle?
Provided you have minimal headspace in your containers you should be OKish, but, on the assumption that no more CO2 is being produced, the more air that is in the containers at this stage the more likely you are to suffer from oxidation spoiling

My concern here is that the beer has been dry hopped so if I leave it to settle at this stage will the fragrance introduced from the hopping process reduce significantly?
Unlikely in my view

So, if I can let the brew settle before bottling, what's the recommended maximum time limit for that settling period?
If there is minimal oxygen present, you should be able to leave it until it has cleared or nearly cleared. A cold place will speed things up.

One more question should I procure some Isinglass or other fining material and add that before bottling? I haven't used finings with my other brews and they turned out clear enough.
Using finings is a personal choice. I dont use them. Time and gravity and not bottling yeast laden beer does it for me. Plus using a high flocculation yeast like Notty. I seem to remember the Youngs AIPA yeast doesnt settle too well though.

Back