MYO Red wine kit fermentation period question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hesstondriver

Reaction score
i started a MYO red wine kit on the 15th September,
the instructions imply fermentation takes 7 days , something i take with pinch of salt, however two and a half weeks later its still going like a train, air lock bubbles every 10 seconds !

its sitting at 21 degrees , having never done a wine kit before just wondering if this is relatively normal ?

cheers

HD

Is this the re-branded one in the cardboard box or the original in the big pouch?

If its the latter i would say its taking a long time all the old type MYO wine kits i have made have been bottled before 14 days.

It is the old style, I’m tempted to take a gravity reading but also can’t see the point if it’s still going strong!

I never use a hydrometer as i know my FV is airtight so when it gets to a bubble every couple of minutes i call it done, i ave never had one ferment that long even in a cold kitchen in the middle of winter.

I never use a hydrometer as i know my FV is airtight so when it gets to a bubble every couple of minutes i call it done, i ave never had one ferment that long even in a cold kitchen in the middle of winter.
Do I dare warm it up to say 23-24 I wonder?

I would give it a go, the last kit i fermented on the heat pad fermented at 28c and it turned out fine, i have had a look at a wine yeast page on one of the big online shops and most suggest between 20c - 30c

Great thanks, I’m used to beer and cider so naturally cautious of the higher end . I’ll warm it up a bit . Thank you

I have put my MYO red kit on my heat pad as the temperature in my kitchen has dropped, i leave it on all night then turn it off in the morning as its not yet cold enough to keep the temperature under 30c if left on 24 hours.

Latest posts

Back