Need help setting up beer line.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scream

Reaction score
I'm not currently ready to to set it up to use and I have a few bits to get done first. Currently I have an extract ale kit fermenting and look to move into grain brewing at some point. I bought a reconditioned keg and have some of the relevant parts. Plan on picking up a CO2 tank next week. Now I have a rough understanding, I understand that factors that determine the beer are things like temperature and carbonation and I believe ABV. Too much carbonation and you'll have frothy beer, too short a line and you'll get the same. Here in lies my issue. With the temperature and alcohol content aside which will be determined on the day I'm unsure how I calculate the amount of CO2 I need. I'm also unsure on how much line I need and what sizes I need. I'm looking to make it portable because I don't have the space and for that same reason the beer will be whatever the temperature is outside, I only plan on making beer at the moment during the winter as I don't have the space for a fridge to keep it at a certain temperature, plus I aim to do it when I know it will be drunk relatively quickly with the whole family coming down for Christmas. I'd really appreciate the experience and expertises of you lot. Thank you.

There are a few calculators out there, but the maths is straight forward. Have a read through this (https://www.brewersfriend.com/2009/...our-kegged-beer-co2-line-length-and-pressure/)

You’ll need some 3/16 line to reduce the pressure. The formula on that link takes into account temperature, the height difference from keg to tap, line resistance ect.

But ultimately you might end up tweaking it once you have it set up. A flow control tap make it a lot easier!

Back