Need help with 100% brett ipa

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stigman

Landlord.
Reaction score
I brewed this beer last 3 weeks ago with just brett claussenii I did a 500ml starter then 1.5l that dropped clear with a good amount of visable yeast in the bottom of my flask. I've not seen much from airlock but had obvious pressure on the lid and the beer dropped clear just as the starter did so I dry hopped 2 days ago. Just took a reading and it's only at 1.060 from 1.076. Do I let it ride or pitch some us05? I know it's a bit of a niche beer but I'm sure someone must have done something similar.

I suspect you're in for a long wait, if it ferments at all according to this page on milk the funk:
http://www.milkthefunk.com/wiki/100%_Brettanomyces_Fermentation
Some relevant quotes:
"Most pure cultures of Brettanomyces cannot fully attenuate wort due to not fermenting maltose, especially under anaerobic conditions."
"Some microbiologists have witnessed that B. claussenii is very slow to ferment wort by itself. If fermentation finishes in two weeks, this might be due to contamination of another yeast."
"Chad Yakobson's thesis showed that WLP645 (brett c), WLP650, WLP653, WY5112, WY5526, and WY5151 were not able to attenuate wort more than 50% within 35 days (these were pure cultures)."

Well it's gone from bad to worse, the heater in my ferm fridge has packed in now and it's dropped down to normal ale temps. So I'm Gona get a couple of packs of o5 on Monday and let them finish it off. On a plus point the trial jar smells amazing, tastes good to just very sweet still.

Back