Nelson Sauvin - Abit of a disappointment

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darcey

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hello all!

All over the interwebs I have heard that NS is sh*t hot! From posh wheat beers @£25 a bottle in Selfridges to micros and bloggers going on about it. Personally I am not sure I have tried any commercial example apart from the above wheat beer which on a side by side comparison lost to AG#5 done with Tettnang and dry yeast!

I decided after buying 110g @14AA% to try it anyways! I have done two brews, one which was an almost amber ale at 4.5% with some golding and a pale with some cascade. I can honestly say that it has ruined these beers the flavours and aroma of the above hops was evident and very much appreciated in the brew, the NS however was rather unwelcome. I really get the 'Sauvignon Blanc' flavour and aroma from which it gets its name but even in small additions the flavour is abnormal in 'ale'. The high AA% makes it cheap as a bittering hop but hard to add accurately and consistently for a 5 gallon brewer.

I still have about 40g left and dont want to add it to future beers.. just incase! Maybe when the stores run dry i'l use it as a bittering on a 90min boil but really... am I doing it wrong!?

I have read that it should be used in moderation but really, can anyone point me to a beer its used in that I could buy and get the pallet for? Or indeed suggest a recipe. Honestly unless I can try this hop in a beer and understand its flavour I will not be buying again.

D

Its all about personal opinion, some you like some you don't.

If your local supermarket had Brewdog Punk IPA then try that as it has NS as an aroma hop.

Eh Up Darcey,

I use Nelson in my Dronfield pale as a single hop and its beautiful. As the alpha is on the high side I rein back the initial hops but really give it the beans in the last 15 mins, 2 additions....30 gms at 15 mins, then 20 gms in last 5 mins. Overall using 65gms for 23 litres.

My usual brew length is anything from 23 litres through to 80 litres, but has been known to be 400litres.....

Using Thwaites Yeast or Hopback brings a really smooth pint with a really fruity aftertaste

thornbridge kipling.

n.s. is a beauty of a hop! 35g is only enough to put in a beer your brewing if you have a 1 pint brew length!

right youve only got 40 poxy grams left...........

5 gallons
pale ale85%
wheat 10%
crystal 5%
gravity of 1050
66.c mash for 60 mins
90 min boil
15 ibus of something citrussy(cascade?)@90
mix the rest with some centennial ,riwaka, matueka or a little more cascade(say another 40g, ....[preferably more n.s.would be better to be fair!])
split it in two throw half in @ 10 and half in @ flameout
thatll work.

critch said:
thornbridge kipling.

I would definitely taste this before making 40 pints up using NS.
I think it is awful with an overpowering fresh tarmac taste.

it is the marmite of the hop world.

anthonyUK said:
critch said:
thornbridge kipling.

id say youve had an off pint mate theres no way a well kept pint of a well made nelson sauvin beer tastes like tarmac.

ive never detected it in all the different brews ive done or tried

critch said:
anthonyUK said:
critch said:
thornbridge kipling.

id say youve had an off pint mate theres no way a well kept pint of a well made nelson sauvin beer tastes like tarmac.

ive never detected it in all the different brews ive done or tried

For your info I'm not the only one who's mentioned it.
I can also detect it in some Brewdogs such as 5am Saint.
Sorry, just don't like it.

Back