New boiler nordic stockpot or thermobox ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grumpy Hobbit

Reaction score
Hi all

Got home from work yesterday and SWMBO told me there had been a small accident :shock: .

Then she told me that when clearing the garage a shelf unit fell on the brewery :evil: .

Turns out the shelf unit (full of house ****) fell direct onto my Nordic boiler. Now SWIMBO says “no problem get a new one”. Result I thought :party: (Well She moved the shelf, so she will pay for the new boiler)

So the question is Nordic stock pot or 80l thermobox as the new boiler?

I know some people on here have a thermobox as HLT or Boiler, but does it cut down the time it takes to get to the boil by much? Or should I just order a stock pot and save the extra hassle of converting a thermobox?

Oh and it will have this http://www.heatingelementcompany.co.uk/default.asp?Product=231

Might even get new boiler and HLT if im a good boy

I'm just about to hack up my pots and have a thermo as a tun. If I struggle to get to temp quickly I'll get some foil bubble insulation.

I'd get two pots ;)

jamesb said:
I've been tempted by an 80l Thermo for use as a boiler lately, mainly to save energy and time.

You should get one, they are rather good :thumb:

That's what prompted my question.

I have a 50l thermobox mash tun and 2 70l stockpots as HLT and what was a boiler.

Just not sure if the effort of converting is worth it if its very little gain. But I would then have 80l HLT and boiler and not 70l.

I use thermoboxes completely for my electric femtobrewery.They work very well, and as far as savings my water heats up at the rate suggested by the calculated value. I can heat 35L or wort from 10C to 80C in around 40 minutes . . . with a 3KW Element

Aleman said:
I can heat 35L or wort from 10C to 80C in around 40 minutes . . . with a 3KW Element

That's not that impressive, I would have thought it would have taken less time... without bothering to do the maths of course.

jamesb said:
Aleman said:
I can heat 35L or wort from 10C to 80C in around 40 minutes . . . with a 3KW Element

That's not that impressive, I would have thought it would have taken less time... without bothering to do the maths of course.
When you do the maths it comes out at 57 minutes :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: I think it might have been 28L, but basically the heat losses from the TB are practically zero and the heating times match the calculated ones more or less spot on.

Back