New boy

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rickyboyg

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Well I really love the taste of home-made beer and have lived in pubs most of my life with my family. My parents ran a Jennings pub in the Lake District, and my dad was always an expert in the cellar, tapping all the new beers and getting the temperature and gas just right. I always helped him clean the lines each week, etc so its been in my blood from an early age.

I am now living in a place called Batam, an island just off Singapore, and I want to take up a new hobby. This is ideal for me. I will probably have to take the 1 hour boat ride to Singapore to get supplies but I really want to have a go at this, I'm sure its the kind of hobby that can become quite addictive and exciting.

If anyone has any tips on where to start, they'd be gladly appreciated. I don't really want to start with the 'cant go wrong all in one kits' I want to get the pan out and start brewing proper.

Thanks! :cheers:

As someone who also lived in pubs for years, I should like to welcome a fellow 'unpaid cellarman' to the fold. I used to hold draymen in awe - especially when they thrawled a barrel. None of these namby pamby firkins or kilderkins - full 36's.

'Sponge-balling' was my favourite job of the week (well, twice or three times a week because most beers were cask-conditioned and contained live yeast). In the best Falklands War spirit (although it pre-dated that conflict by a couple of decades) you '...counted them all out and you counted them all back again'. The last thing you wanted to do was to leave one unaccounted for - a big lump of sponge in a customer's first pint of the day would mean a thick ear.

:cheers:

I never got quite as far south as Batam - I went to school in Singapore and we spent a few days on Blakang Mati in the early 1960's when my father was in the Gurkha Engineers.

'in awe of the draymen' so true!

Anyway thanks for the welcome, here's my plan. Buy a book, 'How to Brew' has been recommended by a few places by J.Palmer. Then pay a visit to a supplier nearby and throw myself in at the deep end. I don't care if my first batch tastes like ****, i'm ready to learn.

I figure i'll need the book to get my head around all the correct equipment and ingredients.

Is this a good way to go or not?

Ricky, kits are for amateurs, all the above sounds sensible, I would reccomend Dave Line's "Brewing beers Like those you buy", there is a recipe for Tiger Beer in it what could be more appropriate :D , nicest pint I've had sitting outside a bar in Singapore city 30 odd years ago, I lived in Changi as a child (service brat :grin: ) and was back for a beer as a merchant seaman(baker) ;)

Ok thanks for the advice. I drink a lot of Tiger Beer here as its cheap and tastes good. A 330ml can costs the equivalent of about 50p.

There is also a home-made beer bar here. They must have about 8 massive stainless steel fermenters behind the bar, which is a pretty big operation considering the small size of the island. Its called Batam Fresh Beer, and man it tastes better than all your commercial ****. Only about £1 a glass. This place also gave me some inspiration on trying it out myself. I will take a pic next time i'm in there.

http://www.batamfreshbeer.com/

I was at the fresh beer place last night and took a pic like I said I would.

IMG00266-20110621-1752.jpg

So these are their fermenters I take it? What temperature do they keep the beer at when fermenting?

Latest posts

Back