New Brewer, first brew - help!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stubrew

Reaction score
Hi All,

Decided to give homebrewing a go. Got myself a Woodfordes Wherry starter kit as all of the reviews I'd seen were good. BUT, I'm having a few issues.

The wife wasn't keen on the brew being in a nice warm bedroom, so it's been sat in the kitchen - which gets cold at night.

Now, the brew went on last Thursday evening, and seemed to be doing OK. Good krausen, there was pressure in the primary fermenting vessel (no bubbles through the airlock, but I'm sure it was escaping elsewhere).

After a cold night (down to maybe 14 degrees celsius in the kitchen), the brew seems to have stopped. No pressure in the primary fermenting vessel, the krausen has dissapeared, to be replaced by a think layer of 'scum' and there is a layer of sediment at the bottom of the barrel. It's now Sunday - so it's had 2 1/2 days brewing time.

I was expecting a brew time of roughly 7 days (although the kit suggests 4-6).

I haven't taken an SG reading yet - I will do, but in the meantime, is it likely that the fermentation process has been stalled? Perhaps by the cold?

Any thoughts gratefully rec'd.

Edit - SG is currently reading at 1.017. The pack suggests an SG reading of below 1.014 (and stable for 2 days) for a finished brew.

Wherry is known for stuck fermentation. Do a search and you'll get loads of info on it and how to get it going again. It's not the end of the world don't don't panic just yet.

You do need to check the gravity though.

:thumb:

hi stu welcome to the forum :drunk: nice name :hmm: put it some were warm and leave it be for a day it should start to bubble up again . im thinking i should use my other name can any one tell me how to change my name pls :thumb:

Thanks for the replies - have had a read of the stuck fermentation thread viewtopic.php?f=30&t=15082

I'll move it to a warmer room and if it doesn't kick start, I'll give it a stir. Fingers crossed it starts moving again.

Get a gravity reading. It's the only way to properly check. This may not have stopped it may be just that you can't see with the naked eye that it's still going. The yeast may still be doing it's job.

stu brew said:
hi stu welcome to the forum :drunk: nice name :hmm: put it some were warm and leave it be for a day it should start to bubble up again . im thinking i should use my other name can any one tell me how to change my name pls :thumb:
pm one of the forum moderators they can change your name

Latest posts

Back