New guy from Edinburgh

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EG_Wanna_Be

Reaction score
Hey guys!

I have just started brewing, and I am looking forward to the results. The process was fun, even from a kit!

I am based in Edinburgh, and my favourite beer would be Brewdog's Punk IPA, though I have just recently come back from a visit to Canada that has left me in awe of a fresh-hopped IPA called Sartori from Driftwood Brewery, only released once a year with fresh hops harvested locally, with locally sourced grains as well. What a treat!

I just wanted to pop by and say hello, before I go through and tackle the rest of these forums (once I have some spare time of course).

Thanks for being here! It offers a n00b like me the chance to get into it!

Cheers,

Evan

Welcome to the forum Evan. :thumb:

Sounds like you know what you like and want to brew :thumb: I think you will be buying lots of the American 'C' hops over the next few months :thumb:

Thanks guys!

I think I have already made a stupid mistake... but can't link to the thread... info below:

In watching a friend of mine do an all-grain brew last week, he sanitized everythign within an inch of its life, though I didn't think about what he was using. He didn't rinse anything, and said that it wasn't an issue because of the way he mixed it.

Now come my pickle... When I sanitized my FV and tools last night, I used VWP, and didn't rinse. I emptied everything, but I didn't rinse, and judging by the chlorinated smell on my hands, I think I have made a right *&!$ of this!

Can anyone confirm matter of factly if I have just potentially poisoned myself, or killed the yeast, or in any way have spoiled the batch?

I feel like a bit of a knob, but I am praying that I didn't just waste £25 on the kit.

Thanks for the welcome though! Much appreciated!

Welcome to the forum :cheers:

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I think it will taste :sick:
VWP needs to be rinsed pretty well. I suspect your friend was using starsan or videne as a no rinse solution.

Welcome to the forum :cheers:

not sure what the others do but I use Antiformin S on everything, then rinse like all hell and if i'm still worried about bugs in the rinsing water I sanitise again using a mild iodine solution which is no rinse, although I stress mild otherwise it'll impart a taste, not to mention knack your thyroid allegedly....!

Thanks guys!

It is fermenting... so I will let it do its thing, and run through the motions anyway... now that I have paid the money, I suppose it makes sense that I see it through, and who knows... maybe I will end up with a drinkable beer at the end of it anyway.

Thanks a lot for the warm welcome, and the advice re: santizers.

Great forum thus far! What's this Spring Thing all about?

Back