Help with a recipe from this hop list?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monkhouse

Regular.
Reaction score
Carnforth, sleepy old town in the northwest
I’ve got a hop surplus and zero imagination!
Ive got in stock,
- 25kg sack of pale ale malt
-1x Nottingham dry yeast
-1x mangrove jacks m41
And for the hops I’ve got-
Strata 13.5%aa
Citra 12.8%aa
Simcoe 13.2%aa
Mosaic 11%aa
Comet 8.4%aa
Archer 4.2%aa
Apollo 16.7%aa
Magnum 15.9%aa
Hallertau hersbrucker 4.9%aa
Sorachi ace 10.7%aa

So obviously some sort of pale ale, smash or ipa, I’m stuck scratching my head with it 😂
cheers 🍻

Not sure what quantity of each hop you have but I'd be tempted to do a pale ale using the Nottingham yeast with Magnum to bitter and then a combination of Simcoe, Citra and Strata for the later additions.

Something like this perhaps:

Magnum - 10g at 60mins
Simcoe & Citra - 10g of each at 10mins
Simcoe & Citra - 50g of each for a 20mins hop stand at 50degC.
40g Simcoe, 40g Citra, 20g Strata - dry hop

5kg pale malt would give you an ABV of 4.7% for a 20L batch. 40 IBUs bitterness.

Last edited:
Your listening to too many scaremongers. Just dry hop and apply common sense to it - sanitise hop bags etc and do not be afraid to open the top just minimise the time and no splashing.
unless you are doing massive dry hops or NEIPA's you will be ok.

Sounds nice, I’ve never dry hopped before I’ve always been too worried about infection. Is there a sure fire way to eliminate this risk?

As @The Baron says just make sure any bags you are using have been sanitised.

Alternatively just chuck them in loose, they'll naturally sink to the bottom of the fermenter with time.

Ive got in stock,
-1x Nottingham dry yeast
-1x mangrove jacks m41
Strata 13.5%aa
Citra 12.8%aa
Simcoe 13.2%aa
Mosaic 11%aa
Comet 8.4%aa
Archer 4.2%aa
Apollo 16.7%aa
Magnum 15.9%aa
Sorachi ace 10.7%aa

So obviously some sort of pale ale, smash or ipa, I’m stuck scratching my head with it 😂
cheers 🍻

It would be a waste of hops but I'd be tempted to use Strata, Mosaic, Archer, Sorachi and Hallertau simply because it spells SMASH :coat:.

As a test I put Stu's Brews schedule into Hop Control and got this flavour diagram :-

Monk.jpg

Its maxed out for everything except spice.

It would be a waste of hops but I'd be tempted to use Strata, Mosaic, Archer, Sorachi and Hallertau simply because it spells SMASH :coat:.

As a test I put Stu's Brews schedule into Hop Control and got this flavour diagram :-

View attachment 98953

Its maxed out for everything except spice.

What can I say... I like big flavours :laugh8:

Ive got in stock,
-1x Nottingham dry yeast
-1x mangrove jacks m41
Strata 13.5%aa
Citra 12.8%aa
Simcoe 13.2%aa
Mosaic 11%aa
Comet 8.4%aa
Archer 4.2%aa
Apollo 16.7%aa
Magnum 15.9%aa
Sorachi ace 10.7%aa

cheers 🍻
simcoe citra & mosaic. one as a whirlpool flame out and the other 2 as a dry hop.

How much would be considered a massive amount of dry hops?
At least a hundred Plus athumb..
I do 120 regular no issues but if you are using veg bags I would use 2 and split the dry hop so it can infuse better. Tie a bit of fishing line on the bags so that you can pull them out and screw the top of your FV back on if it has one(it will seal with fishing line being so thin

How much would be considered a massive amount of dry hops?
Anything above about 150g in a 20L batch (7.5g per litre) would probably fall into the 'massive' category.

When you have really heavily dry hopped beers, they can be more susceptible to oxidation. So that means ideally no exposure to oxygen after fermentation has been completed.

I’m thinking I will sanitise a small Tupperware box and put the hop pellets into it then bung it in freezer for a few days then just throw them in the fv loose for a couple of days then bottle it all. Will 2 days be enough time for say 60g of pellets to sink onto the trub?

I’m thinking I will sanitise a small Tupperware box and put the hop pellets into it then bung it in freezer for a few days then just throw them in the fv loose for a couple of days then bottle it all. Will 2 days be enough time for say 60g of pellets to sink onto the trub?
A minute or two in starsan for the bags is fine, otherwise stick them in boiling water for a few minutes. Dry hops were used to preserve beer shipped to India to cover up the smell of it going off but also preserved the beer. Hop compounds have a bacteriastatic effect, and they are added once alcohol has formed. This establishes several barriers to bacterial growth. Sanitising the plastic veg bags is good practice primarily due to the opportunities for organic debris on the mesh providing a haven for unwanted microbeasties.

From what I’ve read the transfer of hop aroma can be largely done in a matter of hours (strangely it’s faster at lower temperatures). Experiments have shown no difference between 2 days and 7.

Thanks for all the advice, I’ve included a snapshot of my grist and hop schedule (it’s an experimental brew I do like to play), it’s a double batch which I split into 2 separate fermenters.
In one I added a pack of m41 Belgian yeast and the other a pack of Nottingham.
The Belgian was kept at 26c whilst the Nottingham I kept at 20c.
The brewday was last Sunday so today is the 4th full day since yeasts were pitched. I was planning on dry hopping the Nottingham with around 50g of mosaic but I’ve no way of adding the hops without opening the fv (fermentasaurus) and you’ve all done a good job of calming my concerns over the sanitation but I’m now worried about oxidation 😫.
I’ve never done a neipa and tbh I wouldn’t know if what I have brewed would be classed as a neipa but the reason I’ve avoided this style is because I bottle exclusively and other than my bottling gun with purge function I have no way of eliminating oxygen from certain stages of dry hopping and packaging.
Should I just forget the dry hopping?
Cheers guys
Dave

Don't get paranoid it is not as critical as some make you believe.
I have dry hopped for years and as long as you use common sense it generally will be ok.
It is only when you get to do NEIPA's and large dryhops over 200.
Just make sure you have good common sense procedures and sanitation

Don't get paranoid it is not as critical as some make you believe.
I have dry hopped for years and as long as you use common sense it generally will be ok.
It is only when you get to do NEIPA's and large dryhops over 200.
Just make sure you have good common sense procedures and sanitation
Would you recommend leaving it in the fv the usual 2 weeks or bottle it sooner? The top of the beer is still now with no signs of active fermentation. At what stage would you recommend dry hopping? I’d need the hops (loose) to be in the beer long enough to settle down to the trub so as not to block up my float and tube..

Back