new hobbie making strong ale from a kit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

derek sloat

Reaction score
hi im finding the price of good ale going up & up, so i thought about making my own, my favorite ale's are old peculear, old speckled hen and top one is fullers 1845. so with these in mind where do i go to get the kits and recipies to create these ales, can you give me any good advice to get started thanks
derek sloat

Maybe the Muntons Old Conkerwood kit would be a good start? It's a 2 can kit so no sugar needed, all the alcohol comes from the malt in the cans (just like real beer). It won't be an old Pec or 1845 clone but it will be...... "Muntons Old Conkerwood Black Ale is a distinctive dark coloured ale. It has an aromatic hoppy character that has a pleasing dry bitterness that one would associate with a truly traditional strong English Bitter, ABV of approximately 5%".

Sounds quite near to what you're after?

derek sloat said:
hi im finding the price of good ale going up & up, so i thought about making my own, my favorite ale's are old peculear, old speckled hen and top one is fullers 1845. so with these in mind where do i go to get the kits and recipies to create these ales, can you give me any good advice to get started thanks
derek sloat

Start with Kits, ideally the 2 can ones, more expensive but results are generally better. There aren't kits available to replicate the usual pub ales. Although there are recipes available for all grain brewing.
Recommend you look at the "How to" section and maybe buy a book or two before going into this all guns blazing. There are many people these days trying to save money, and brewing your own can be qute economic, however, the idea is not to copy what is sold in pubs or shops but to produce a better beer...

Latest posts

Back