New Member from Isle of Harris

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HebridesRob

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I started brewing beer some time around 1980 and stopped around 2000. Now I'm semi retired and living in a remote location, on an island that has very little real ale, I'm intent on taking it up again.

Have no equipment left, so I'm going to be asking questions. Please be nice!

Ha! Been past Arisaig a few times. I don't mind the isolation, I do mind the lack of a decent pint. A problem I may not solve but I'm going to try.

It's very soft, I'm thinking it might need hardening up if I want to make decent pale ales. Easier to put it in than to take it out I guess.
Mine is too. I always add gypsum and epsom salts. There's a water treatment calculator at the top of the page I've found useful.

Ha! Been past Arisaig a few times. I don't mind the isolation, I do mind the lack of a decent pint. A problem I may not solve but I'm going to try.

Hi Rob and welcome to the 'Island Brewers' . Same inclination got me brewing again, ie lack of decent local beer. Yes, I know there are good Scottish beers before I receive a tirade of abuse/advice, but they are few and far between, as Godfather50 will testify, cold fizzy 80 Bob is the norm and takes some stomaching !
I love the isolation, trouble is we get plagued with hordes of rented 'all the gear' motor homes at this time of year all doing 20mph, Aaaagh !

Best crack another beer and chill......

Come on in, the water (and the beer) is lovely !

You will create some great beer. You just need some malt, some hops and some yeast. Your water will be great, ours is very soft, from the Lake District. You want gypsum at the very least.

Hi everyone.

I started brewing beer some time around 1980 and stopped around 2000. Now I'm semi retired and living in a remote location, on an island that has very little real ale, I'm intent on taking it up again.

Have no equipment left, so I'm going to be asking questions. Please be nice!

With 20 years of brewing under your belt, we may well be asking you questions Rob, welcome to the forum.

Hi Rob and welcome to the 'Island Brewers' . Same inclination got me brewing again, ie lack of decent local beer. Yes, I know there are good Scottish beers before I receive a tirade of abuse/advice, but they are few and far between, as Godfather50 will testify, cold fizzy 80 Bob is the norm and takes some stomaching !
I love the isolation, trouble is we get plagued with hordes of rented 'all the gear' motor homes at this time of year all doing 20mph, Aaaagh !

Best crack another beer and chill......

Come on in, the water (and the beer) is lovely !

On a good day, with a telescope, I might be able to see your house from my kitchen window.

Thanks for the welcome :thumb:

On a good day, with a telescope, I might be able to see your house from my kitchen window.

Thanks for the welcome :thumb:

Ha ha, maybe not, I live in the south of Skye, though I do fish at Neist point, the most westerly point in the British Mainland (now) periodically, so next time I'm there give us a wave ! :cheers:

Back