New member here.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes the hydrometer looks fine - how much of what yeast was pitched?
Thanks. I can't remember what yeast if the top of my head. It was a high alcohol tolerant yeast.
There was 2.3kgs of raisins. 1.25kg of sugar and 120 grams of whole wheat.

Late to this thread but...

I would imagine that the wheat would have added non-fermentable sugars which could be why you've got a high finishing gravity.

The other thing I'd say is that if it tastes nice why worry about the numbers ?

I know there could be a risk of fermentation kicking back off again but given the time its been fermenting already probably a low risk and if you're really worried about bottle bombs just make sure the corks are not in too tight.

Sounds an interesting brew.

I think I understand the problem now. The raisins are not included in the OG measurement but will we assume give up fermentable sugar over time, so you have probably run into the limit of the yeast and that is why it is perceived as being much more alcoholic.

Late to this thread but...

I would imagine that the wheat would have added non-fermentable sugars which could be why you've got a high finishing gravity.

The other thing I'd say is that if it tastes nice why worry about the numbers ?

I know there could be a risk of fermentation kicking back off again but given the time its been fermenting already probably a low risk and if you're really worried about bottle bombs just make sure the corks are not in too tight.

Sounds an interesting brew.
Thanks. I was just curious as to why it was coming back as only 9.71% alcohol and if I was reading the hydrometer correctly.
It tastes amazing. Definitely not like a wine, more like a sherry. I don't actually like wine but I love port.
The next brew I'll try I'll use raisins and fresh blackberries and see what flavour that gives me. You can definitely taste the raisins and it's quite sweet. I'm happy with it 👍

Latest posts

Back