The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PullinDeezPintz

Reaction score
Hello from Stoke on Trent.

I'm a beginner at home brewing. I brewed the first beer during lockdown using a larger malt (which turned out well (beginner's luck)) and the second was a stout malt but that was way too carbonated and undrinkable.

I now have a large gas-fired brewing kettle with the intention of doing a whole-grain brew.

so I'm here to learn. I love ales and stouts but I need to learn how to get the carbonation right.

Sounds great. Welcome to the forum. There's no such thing as stout malt, by the way. I always recommend newcomers to get a basic home brewing book: Wheeler, or Hughes are very good and you can get second hand copies on Amazon. Avoid American publications. Even though many of them are excellent, their units of measure are different and their fluid measures have different values.

Welcome I have always used the beer priming sugar calculator on Brewersfriend. You will find it in the calculators tab. I’ve only had one over carbed IPA since and I think that’s because I didn’t measure the temperature of the fermented beer.

Back