The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlanJones

Reaction score
Hi

I have been brewing from kits for about a year, done 6 or 7 so far. Latest done is Brewmaker Best of British Yorkshire Ale which has been bottled for a about 4 weeks and is perfectly drinkable already. Planning to try an extract brew in the next few weeks and found a basic recipe for a 10L Mild Ale brew which requires 900g Pale dried malt extract, 450g Dark malt extract and 40g Fuggles hops but, when i ran it in brew target it came out as very hoppy. The recipe says to add all the hops at the start of the boil, i tried adding them in stages but it didn't make much difference. The ingredients weren't too expensive should i just give it a try?

Alan

Hi and welcome Alan. Adding hops in stages should reduce the overall bitterness. Generally speaking milds tend to be more lightly hopped than most beers.

Ended up just adding all the hops in one go at the start of the boil. I have had a few bottles of the resulting brew and I can honesty say its 10 times better than any of the kits I have done!! Just bottled my second extract brew using Fuggles and Golding hops this time and added a jar of honey. Looking nice and clear already and around 5.8% which is quite strong for me!

Latest posts

Back