The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leemond

Reaction score
Hi all,

Started all grain brewing just after last Christmas when my fiancée bought me a kit (enough to brew 4L). After making a few beers from kits I started experimenting with my own recipes, all have which have tasted ok and haven't killed anyone!

I'm looking to scale up after Christmas as the process is quite lengthy for the sake of 8 bottles of beer (although I do enjoy it) however I have experienced a couple of issues I'd like to iron out in the meantime. I imagine they'll be a separate section for those so will post up accordingly.

Nice to 'meet' everyone - I look forward to the conversations :)

Leemond.

Welcome to the forum. I am a newbie like yourself but I haven't been tempted as yet to go AG. I tend to make 5 gallon kits mostly but I am now experimenting with WOW and Turbociders.

@Dads_Ale very jealous right now... your shed looks like it rocks well!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

My Mrs bought me an all grain kit which sucked me in... that and the brewery tours :)

Tours go ok til you mention the word 'kit' to a group of micro brewers, at which point attaching yourself to the tumble weed seems to be the only option

Hi all,

Started all grain brewing just after last Christmas when my fiancée bought me a kit (enough to brew 4L). After making a few beers from kits I started experimenting with my own recipes, all have which have tasted ok and haven't killed anyone!

I'm looking to scale up after Christmas as the process is quite lengthy for the sake of 8 bottles of beer (although I do enjoy it) however I have experienced a couple of issues I'd like to iron out in the meantime. I imagine they'll be a separate section for those so will post up accordingly.

Nice to 'meet' everyone - I look forward to the conversations :)

Leemond.

welcome and gd luck with the transition - more ingredients hopefully doesnt spell more mess:whistle:!

Welcome to the forum. I am a newbie like yourself but I haven't been tempted as yet to go AG. I tend to make 5 gallon kits mostly but I am now experimenting with WOW and Turbociders.

turbo ciders are awesome - yet to make a wow but will soon - yty diffrent yeasts for diffrent tastes :)

turbo ciders are awesome - yet to make a wow but will soon - yty diffrent yeasts for diffrent tastes :)

Great advice re yeasts - hadn't thought of that!.

My first WOW turned out lovely - had a taste when racking and it was lovely table wine but then I cocked up the stabilising bit and had to dump the lot!

Now have an elderflower TC, ordinary TC and 2 WOW on the go. Wont be making the same mistake again lol

Great advice re yeasts - hadn't thought of that!.

My first WOW turned out lovely - had a taste when racking and it was lovely table wine but then I cocked up the stabilising bit and had to dump the lot!

Now have an elderflower TC, ordinary TC and 2 WOW on the go. Wont be making the same mistake again lol

why did you stabalise , to ensure a residual sweetness or for a lower abv ?

what did you cock up btw ? i have never bothered with stabalising as i quite enjoy a dry cider.

why did you stabalise , to ensure a residual sweetness or for a lower abv ?

what did you cock up btw ? i have never bothered with stabalising as i quite enjoy a dry cider.

It was my first WOW and the recipe said to stabilise. I fermented it to dry and back sweetened slightly with an unfermentable sugar.

I cocked it up because I interpreted the sulphite instructions wrong and added 10 times the amount - I could have used the wine as a steriliser!!

I wont be stabilising the cider as I will bottle and carbonate but I will still probably stabilise as I was told if you intend to age the wine a bit it is beter to stabilise.

Welcome to the forum.
Does your wife know what she has let herself in for :)
I'm writing this while sitting in the shed drinking pumpkin ale listening to Alice Cooper on Planet Rock :)

Awesome - into the old Rock music myself ;)

Thanks for all the welcomes guys :)

Awesome - into the old Rock music myself ;)

Thanks for all the welcomes guys :)

He played the whole of sabbaths 'wheels of confusion' last time I listened. Massive respect Mr Coopers (see what I did with his surname?,..it was funnier down the pub)

It was my first WOW and the recipe said to stabilise. I fermented it to dry and back sweetened slightly with an unfermentable sugar.

I cocked it up because I interpreted the sulphite instructions wrong and added 10 times the amount - I could have used the wine as a steriliser!!

I wont be stabilising the cider as I will bottle and carbonate but I will still probably stabilise as I was told if you intend to age the wine a bit it is beter to stabilise.

in time you will find that instructions are merely guidelines....

that is ofcourse after you have failed a good many times prior to getting it right

Hi all, back after a lengthy absence after some unfortunate personal circumstances that are thankfully now resolved. Looking to brew again in the first time in over a year later this week :)

Back