New St Peter's kit announced

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GhostShip

Reaction score
St Peter's Plum Porter

This Plum Porter beer kit makes 35 pints. A dark, sweet, full-bodied plum porter. Background notes of damson and blackcurrant are followed by the fruitiness of the plum in flavour and aroma. 5.0% ABV.

1670257393991.png

Attachments

• 3349830461.jpg
    3349830461.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited by a moderator:
Very keen to see some reviews on this one. The bottled version is very nice and I've never been able to recreate anything as good either with real fruit or flavourings.

Well, the St Peters Plum Porter kit went into the fermenter this afternoon. This is the first kit I've done in a long time, but I've never been able to find any good all grain recipes that can replicate any of my favourite plummy commercial beers: Titanic Plum Porter, St Peters Plum Porter, Badger Ales Poachers Pocket (or even Aldi's very respectable Plum Porter brewed by Harpers).

Enjoyed the kit making process. Start to finish in half hour and only my beer paddle to wash at the end of it. I've not been able to perfect my all grain method down to anything less than 5 hours with the clearing up.

Very keen to see how this turns out. I probably shouldn't ask, as it's a bit late now, but anyone else brewed this yet? What did you think of the beer?

Well, the St Peters Plum Porter kit went into the fermenter this afternoon. This is the first kit I've done in a long time, but I've never been able to find any good all grain recipes that can replicate any of my favourite plummy commercial beers: Titanic Plum Porter, St Peters Plum Porter, Badger Ales Poachers Pocket (or even Aldi's very respectable Plum Porter brewed by Harpers).

Enjoyed the kit making process. Start to finish in half hour and only my beer paddle to wash at the end of it. I've not been able to perfect my all grain method down to anything less than 5 hours with the clearing up.

Very keen to see how this turns out. I probably shouldn't ask, as it's a bit late now, but anyone else brewed this yet? What did you think of the beer?
Five hours including the clean up? Glad it’s not just me!

bottled this one today og1044 fg1008 makes it around the stated 5% smelt and tasted rather nice out of the fermenter, now the wait !!!!

Took a sample of mine yesterday but it's only dropped to 1018. Hoping it's just slow rather than stuck as I've fermented at a slightly cool 19 degrees. I've increased the temp to 20.5 to help it along.

I wasn't too sure of the smell when it went in the fermenter (very plummy), but the sample yesterday tasted lovely.

Took a sample of mine yesterday but it's only dropped to 1018. Hoping it's just slow rather than stuck as I've fermented at a slightly cool 19 degrees. I've increased the temp to 20.5 to help it along.

I wasn't too sure of the smell when it went in the fermenter (very plummy), but the sample yesterday tasted lovely.
did mine at 20c for 2 weeks then 2c for 3 days now in the bottle primed with 1/2 tsp of sugar per bottle

did mine at 20c for 2 weeks then 2c for 3 days now in the bottle primed with 1/2 tsp of sugar per bottle

That's what I miss about doing kits. So easy to do and to clean up.
Another benefit is that you can brew in any weather (well technically I can brew indoors with all grain but having 20+ litres of water boiling for an hour or more in the kitchen does tend to turn it into a sauna with dripping walls, cupboards and ceilings. So as I wait for a dry weekend when I am not otherwise engaged I am getting rather tempted to do a quick kit to get my stocks up (and as a fan of plum Porter this would be at the top of my list).

Last edited:
Another benefit is that you can brew in any weather (well technically I can brew indoors with all grain but having 20+ litres of water boiling for an hour or more in the kitchen does tend to turn it into a sauna with dripping walls, cupboards and ceilings. So as I wait for a dry weekend when I am not otherwise engaged I am getting rather tempted to do a quick kit to get my stocks up (and as a fan of plum Porter this would be at the top of my list).

I had the same problem with condensation but rigging a simple chimney has been really effective - the windows don't even steam up anymore.
IMG_20201122_102921881.jpg

I had the same problem with condensation but rigging a simple chimney has been really effective - the windows don't even steam up anymore.
View attachment 83273
Really neat setup and definitely something I would consider, I actually quite like brewing outside even in the cold but due to my strange aversion to being electrocuted have chosen to avoid doing so if their is any chance of rain.

Plum Porter is finally in the bottle! Left it an extra week in the FV hoping to get the gravity down a little further. It dropped an extra couple of points over the final week but still ended quite high at 1012.

Should be alright but I've only primed with 1/4 tsp of sugar in each bottle just in case (and i think the light carbonation will suit the style). I'll store them cold once and drink them quick once they've carbonated!

It tastes rather nice already, so looking forward to trying again once they've conditioned.

Back