New (to me) Wine Kit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
MYO (via The Range) are offering a Red Wine kit that delivers 30 x 75cl bottles of wine at an ABV of 11% for +/-£25.

Has anyone brewed this and if so what is the verdict?

It’s almost worth tying up a couple of 10 litre beer kegs if it will keep under 5psi CO2 pressure for a few months!
athumb..

Many thanks!

Now for questions 2 & 3::D

2. Can I forgo the sugar adjunct and just do the wine?

3. Can I use 2 litres of the Lidl Red Grape Juice instead of water; and if I do, will it still ferment/taste okay?

My reasoning behind these is that I would sooner tie up one 10 litre keg than two; and brew the wine twice.

Bearing in mind that 10 litres of red wine is roughly six months supply (2 to mature + 4 to drink) whereas 10 litres of beer is less than about a month (2 weeks conditioning + 2 weeks to drink)!
:beer1:

Ian

#2 No, as there's not enough sugars in the supplied grape juice to get the alcohol up to 11 ish%.
#3 I'm not 100% sure on this but you can substitute as much grape juice for water as you like as long as you take into account the sugar content and reduce your main addition accordingly.
If you only make 10 litres from the kit, the acid Ballance will be out. Way too sharp? Again not too sure on that one but acid ballance is a think to be aware of when making a kit up short length.

I'm sure those more knowledgeable than me will advise in time 👍

Cheers Tom

@Dutto

I have looked at previous threads and cannot find it so i will post the warning again.

If you like full bodied red wines i wouldn't bother with the MYO kit i would place it somewhere between a red and rosé wine we enjoyed it and made quite a few as we don't like "proper" red wine.

I took delivery of the Red and Rosé Kits today!

I won’t be able to start brewing either of them until the current Ruby Red Ale and an American IPA (another MYO Kit) have finished fermenting, so watch this space around the end of May.

One proviso is if our French friend manages to get her Passport (she only needed one since Brexit) by mid-May I may substitute the Rosé for the IPA.

Danielle will be coming over by train, so Duty Free will be even more limited than usual. With her personal consumption of wine (about a bottle a day :beer1:) I’m pretty sure that it will be more than welcome!
:hat:

Back