New to set up

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnnyRobbo

Reaction score
Hello Guys and Gals.

I have a bit of a conundrum which I would like you opinions on as I'm very new to this but just know il soon be very addicted.

so 5 years ago I started buying my converted stockpots, I got my HLT and my thermo Mash Tun, both 70l and ended up injured at work. Long story short, 2 back operations and both shoulders operated on put me out of playing with boiling water for a few years. Well I consider my self back fighting fit and been in contact with my supplier for my brew kettle but this is where my problem lies. He mentioned these new all in on electrical systems such as the brewdevil and the brewzilla.

I'm now stuck on weather to go for the brewzilla 3.1 35l (after endless hours of research and videos) or just stick with my origional plan form 5 years ago and get the stockpot.

Also I hope to brew higher ABV beers once I finally get the hang of things such as imperial IPA end Imp stouts and I've heard you can't really achieve this with the 35l brewzilla. Does anyone know if this is true as I'm struggling to find the 65l on the UK. This makes me think my origional plan was the one to stick with.

Really appreciate any help on this and your views.

Thank you
Robbo

Why don’t you save some pennies and use what you’ve got as a two vessel system?

Welcome Johnny. Sounds like you've been through the wars and brewing your own anaesthetic is a good idea. Save the dosh and stick with original idea. You can always fork out good money later on if you want.

I can get a cheaper vessel to use sparge water from and then I have a dedicated BK, just rekon I should invest in a pump and save the all-in-one system until a bollocked a good few brews up?

Are the all in one systems any good? I'm been talked into a 50l brew devil online.

I've still yet to start fully brewing. My only concern is hold temp with my mash tun where as the all in ones seem to look very good at it. I have a thermo 70l mash tun, any experience with how good they are? I'm going to do a trial run tomorrow and if its descent then maybe I should just buy a good pump and jump into action

Attachments

• 20200510_140055.jpg
    20200510_140055.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 67
  • 20200510_140216.jpg
    20200510_140216.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 68
Looks a pretty good piece of kit and with a good mag drive pump set up it would be better for sure.
When I'm using the mash Tun and boiler I usually fill the boiler to 28 litres and mash in though it's thin mash, then add the additional sparge water into the boiler whilst mashing. Once up to temp I recirculate the mashtun and boiler which allows for grain liquid loss and spares at the same time.
When mash is complete just turn up the boiler and continue to fill.
Cheers

Cheers guys, sure saves money if I keep with what I have. Just figuring out what road to go down that's driving me mad but all your opinions are helping

Cheers guys, sure saves money if I keep with what I have. Just figuring out what road to go down that's driving me mad but all your opinions are helping
Just out of curiosity, IF money wasn't an issue, would you stick with what I have and get a mag pump or go with the brewdevil 50l?

Just out of curiosity, IF money wasn't an issue, would you stick with what I have and get a mag pump or go with the brewdevil 50l?
I bought an all in one at the beginning of last year and I love it, not to everyone's taste but I love the simplicity and control that I get from it. I used a mash tun and a liquor tun and sparged over the top of tin foil with holes poked through it a few years back, didn't make a difference to the brews taste but thought it was a bit of a faff TBH and took up more room. At the end of the day you're going to buy what you want rather than what you need but that's ok if you have the resources, good luck and I hope you find what you want.

Thought I'd need that extra vessel for boil and sparge off HLT?

No you can use your boiler to heat the sparge water (just use a plastic bucket when collecting the runnings) or even forgo the sparge altogether with two vessels.

Latest posts

Back