Newb looking to start AG brewing

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ceejay

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hello! :cheers:

I havent actually started brewing yet but I remember helping my dad out with a bit of pre-Christmas extract brewing about 15 years ago. I'm now 31 and over the years I've developed a very "healthy" appetite for the ale but never had the space to brew my own. I recently moved to Newton Abbot (South Devon) which is amazingly fortunate for the following reasons:

1) I now have a cellar which has our central heating/HW boiler in it, providing near perfect fermenting conditions for a variety of brews (depending on how close I but the FV to the boiler)
2) Newton Abbot has it's own maltings called "Tuckers Maltings" that supply top quality Maris Otter malts
3) The water here tastes a million times better than the water in Portsmouth, where I lived before, plus there's a good supply of Dartmoor spring water nearby.
4) There's already some great microbreweries in the area (Teignworthy, Bays, Dartmoor, Red Rock) that I might be able to tap up for recipies!

I've decided to go All Grain right from the start. Having read through articles (Palmer's "How to Brew" a couple of times) and seen various videos you guys have posted, it looks very doable. I love making things properly from scratch and to make my own beer from scratch would just be awesome.

I'm going to be gettting my equipment together in the next few weeks (probably ask for some for Chrimbo) so be prepared for some rather silly questions!

Cheers! :drink:

Cheers guys! I'm not looking to go crazy withe equipment at the moment so it's going to be an all plastic affair for now - Coolbox MT, a 30l boiler from Hamstead Brewing Centre and I'll probably just sparge with a jug. I'm going to (try to) concentrate more on getting quality ingredients and trying to extract the best from them...althought I've had a good look at some of the shiny equipment you guys use and it's awesome!

I think in the meantime I'm going to get some cheapo turbo cider on the go, ready for New Years Eve. :sick:

Back