Newbie brew.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Critter, I am brewing the same kit at the moment for my second brew. It said to keep between 18-24 if memory served. So believe it's an ale yeast.

I am work so I don't have the instructions to hand lol. But I am sure of that myself too. But I wasn't sure if the instructions were like a general set of instructions that they keep with "essential" range. :wha:

One way of finding out though and thats to leave it till the 28th outside lol.

Hey, another local brewer - welcome! (I am actually between Holmfirth and Wakefield. And Barnsley/Penistone :roll: ).

Firstly, you've had plenty of decent replies.
But as for leaving it longer than the kit says, well, the kit instructions are very optimistic anyway.
Go by gravity, but 2 weeks is normally about right.

Secondly, I don't think kit lagers work very well. Lagering is a process as much as ingredients, and I haven't tasted much out of a kit that tastes like lager. But it should certainly be drinkable. Don't let it put you off home brewing if it isn't perfect though.

Have fun!

EDIT: Am also an Amiga fan too (and C64). Used to have a 500 and later a 1200. Not anymore though :(

If you want this to be fizzy like a lager should be, please don't go for one of those plastic kegs, they won't hold enough pressure to fizz up the lager. You'll be much better off putting it into bottles. Bottles can be got for free just by asking in your local pub, they are only going to throw them away.

I went to a local homebrew place, thanks thejesmonddingo for the recommend, and got some plastic coopers bottles with screw caps. So thatnks guys for persuading me away from the plastic keg thingy.

Well an update to this brew. I am gonna probably start bottling this brew either today or tomorrow, will have just finished a batch on night shifts so will be a little on the tired side and might not be up to doing it today. :hmm:

I am going to buy a new FV from the local brew shop so I can syphone the beer away from the yeast cake and crude in order to do a bulk priming. Hope it all goes well.

Just bottled this today. YAY!

44 500ml bottles I got out of a 23l batch. With half a bottle left over. Guess what I am drinking lol. The taste is, well, just like co-op's own brand lager. It's not got enough of a malty kick for my liking. Maybe should have used some spray malt or brew enhancer. Anyway for a first batch it's not too shabby :) Bulk primed with 80g of sugar. I don't like overly gassy beers and I hope that this will give a much more subdued fizz. But still enough to give it sparkle.

critty said:
Just bottled this today. YAY!

44 500ml bottles I got out of a 23l batch. With half a bottle left over. Guess what I am drinking lol. The taste is, well, just like co-op's own brand lager. It's not got enough of a malty kick for my liking. Maybe should have used some spray malt or brew enhancer. Anyway for a first batch it's not too shabby :) Bulk primed with 80g of sugar. I don't like overly gassy beers and I hope that this will give a much more subdued fizz. But still enough to give it sparkle.

Congrats on bottling this :thumb:

The taste of it should get better as you leave it.

One thing I would say though, is you should've given it much more sugar. I would've doubled that amount for a lager (if you don't like fizz). My first lager kit I made, I only put 95g of sugar in, and was hugely disappointed with the fizz. Would've been OK for an ale, but for a lager, it definitely needed double the amount! So, with my czech pilsner I brewed, I added 190g sugar. Hopefully not too hot with this weather and no bombs please :pray:

With your brewferm, I would say to go with the recommended amount of sugar (120g in 15l), and if you find it is too fizzy, put it in the freezer for around 45 mins before you want it. Will cut back the fizz a lot, but personally, I think the amount of fizz is spot on for the beer :)

Cheers for the heads up I will keep an eye on them and see how it goes :thumb: Did you still get a good head off it? I forgot to mention it was dextrose I used. Not table sugar.

For the brewferm's I will stick to the guide sugars. But I honestly don't like uber fizzy stuff lol. I tend to leave fizzy pops a while before drinking them :rofl:

critty said:
Cheers for the heads up I will keep an eye on them and see how it goes :thumb: Did you still get a good head off it? I forgot to mention it was dextrose I used. Not table sugar.

For the brewferm's I will stick to the guide sugars. But I honestly don't like uber fizzy stuff lol. I tend to leave fizzy pops a while before drinking them :rofl:

I got a very slight head on them, which disappears relatively quickly after drinking... Then again, I hate coke when it's come to being in the bottle a week, and then it's gone all fizzy, so maybe I like the fizz a lot more than you ... so you might be better off with sticking to 100g in the brewferm then :p But, I don't think it was took fizzy personally :p hehe

Latest posts

Back