Newbie- pressure barrel question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott33b

Reaction score
Hi folks. Sorry if this a daft question.
How often should you add co2 to a barrel when drinking from it.
I draw about 3 or 4 pints then the tap goes flat or stops.
Is this normal, or have I got a leak somewhere?
Although the barrel will stay pressurised for days if I don't touch it.
Thanks

I just add it as needed. Sometimes like you I get 3 pints then sometimes more. Probably depends on the changes in temp where the barrel is kept. In the summer I rarely had to use CO2 , maybe only near the end of the barrel. Just make sure air does not go through the tap into the barrel as that will shorten the life of your beer.

:cheers:

Did you condition you beer (add about 100g sugar dissolved in small amount of water) when you put it into the barrel? That should give you pressure for quite a long time after putting your brew into the barrel, my barrels stay pressurised for about half of the brew so about 2.5gallons before I have to add any more CO2. Then I have to add co2 on the regularity you indicate in your OP.

I've got a small 0-15 psi gauge on my king keg cap. Works a treat, and I keep it around 2-3 psi.

(I would attach a photo, but I haven't worked that out yet on here!!)

:cheers:

I think I'll rig the next brew up with a pressure gauge before I start.
Cheers

One major advantage of a gauge is you can see if your loosing pressure from a leak, which can be a common problem.

Back