Newbie with a question :)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rambo perego

Reaction score
Hi, just kicked off my first brew after being given a can of Caxton Real Ale as a gift.
Very excited!
Got my stuff from Wilko's and am already regretting using granulated sugar instead of brewing sugar, but hey–ho, I'll see what happens!

My big question is:

Can anyone give me a pros and cons between bottling and a barrel?

Thanks

Rambo

Hi and welcome :thumb:

Kegs do not hold as high a pressure as bottles but are easy to fill however they are hard to fit in the fridge :lol:

I have never keged just bottled. They can be a pain to fill especially if you bottle prime but I think you get a better end product.

Hope that helps

granulated sugar really needs to be dissolved in boiled water before adding to your brew. There should be no difference in using granulated to brewing sugar

Hi and welcome. Bottles and barrels both have pros and cons. Bottles are a pain in the backside for cleaning and take longer to fill but you don't have to drink them in one go so you can keep them over a longer period. Barrels are the reverse, unless you have several barrels.

Hi,
Im new too. Ive done one keg and one bottle batch. Kegging is way easier but not so fun trapesing to the shed. In the dark. When you own a jack russel that poops for england! Id say bottle but get a little bottler and a second fermenting bin, that way you can add your priming sugar to that, transfer the beer to it and bottle from there. Ive only done this once though so i may be speaking out of the wrong end!

Your local may be willing tonsave you a collection of free bottles, saves them paying the council to collect for recycling see!

Good luck

If your bottling it's easier to do the following, use a syphon hose with a small tap on the end as its a lot easier to start and stop the flow of the beer as its going into the bottle. This hose can either be hooked over the top of your FV and placed inside the wort or attached to a tap close to the bottom of your FV

Thanks for that, just picked up a load of Kopperberg bottles form the rugby club.

they don't seem as solid as other bottles I've collected - will they be ok? I assume the Swedish cider is carbonated?

Latest posts

Back