Total Newbie Question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike-L

Reaction score
Hi All

I am a total newbie at home brewing but thought I would give it go.

Was given some demijons, airlock, bung etc and bought a wine kit from a local high street shop.

Followed instructions which got me started and then stated, allow to ferment for 7 a further 7 days then when it stops bubbling continue with instructions

My question is that is been over 7 days but by wine is still bubbling, do I leave until it stops or carry on with the instructions.

Apologies if this is a dumb question but I an a total beginner at this.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

Generally bubbling does mean it is still fermenting but not always. has it started to drop clear is usually a better indication that fermentation is at or near to the end.
These wine kits also give rather optimistic times of how long it takes as they generally do take longer than they say.
So how often is it bubbling and is it showing signs of clearing?

Last edited:
Hi All

I am a total newbie at home brewing but thought I would give it go.

Was given some demijons, airlock, bung etc and bought a wine kit from a local high street shop.

Followed instructions which got me started and then stated, allow to ferment for 7 a further 7 days then when it stops bubbling continue with instructions

My question is that is been over 7 days but by wine is still bubbling, do I leave until it stops or carry on with the instructions.

Apologies if this is a dumb question but I an a total beginner at this.

Thanks in advance.

Mike
These kit wines seem to be very optimistic about how long it's going to take to be ready. Wait for it to stop bubbling and, when it starts to drop clear, syphon it into a clean demijohn leaving the old yeast sludge behind. Top up to the bottom of the neck with water or sugar solution, refit the airlock and allow it to drop clear and then bottle. Leave for 6 weeks in the bottle before drinking.

... I'm not sure that wine is "brewed" as such.

Generally bubbling does mean it is still fermenting but not always. has it started to drop clear is usually a better indication that fermentation is at or near to the end.
These wine kits also give rather optimistic times of how long it takes as they generally do take longer than they say.
So how often is it bubbling and is it showing signs of clearing?
Thanks for the advice, when you say "drop clear" im assuming you mean that the wine is clear, if so its a red merlot so wouldnt be clear.

When I mean clear it would look like a glass of red wine i.e not murky opaque

Latest posts

Back